Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help charging LiPos.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:45 PM
StarscreamF22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help charging LiPos.

Hi all,

I have some LiPos and wanted to know at what rate to charge them.

I have 2 4S 14.8v, 4500 mAh 20C

Also 2 5S 5800 mAh 30C

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Help charging LiPos.

The lipos should have a charge rate somewhere on them like charge at 2C or similar

If not to play it safe charge at 1C which would be the capacity of the pack. Like the 4500mah lipo would be 4.5Amps, and the 5800mah lipo would be 5.8amps (this one might need lower or even half unless you have a VERY nice charger as most like the 60watt chargers can't cope with 5S at that current)
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM
StarscreamF22

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

The lipos should have a charge rate somewhere on them like charge at 2C or similar

If not to play it safe charge at 1C which would be the capacity of the pack. Like the 4500mah lipo would be 4.5Amps, and the 5800mah lipo would be 5.8amps (this one might need lower or even half unless you have a VERY nice charger as most like the 60watt chargers can't cope with 5S at that current)
I have always charged my 4S 4500mAh at 4.5amps but recently someone has said to lower the amps to make the battery last longer and for a safer charge?

Shall I charge the 5S 5800 mAh at 2.9amps to be on the safe side then?
Old 07-23-2013, 04:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Well if the charger can charge the 5S one at 5.8A go for it I was just saying depending on the wattage of the charger. If the charger is rated for 100Watts you are fine at 5.8Amps(I would do 5A to not stress the charger though) as it would require 99Watts to charge it. If its a 60 Watt charger 3.3amps would be about the maximum it could handle charging a 5S battery.

Slow charging lipos I don't see the point if it saves anything it would probably be negligible. I mean like 10 seconds more run time after 70 cycles you won't notice if its true or not
As long as you don't charge them over their ratings they should be fine which is why I said when in doubt go with 1C charge rate.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 PM
StarscreamF22

Well if the charger can charge the 5S one at 5.8A go for it I was just saying depending on the wattage of the charger. If the charger is rated for 100Watts you are fine at 5.8Amps(I would do 5A to not stress the charger though) as it would require 99Watts to charge it. If its a 60 Watt charger 3.3amps would be about the maximum it could handle charging a 5S battery.

Slow charging lipos I don't see the point if it saves anything it would probably be negligible. I mean like 10 seconds more run time after 70 cycles you won't notice if its true or not
As long as you don't charge them over their ratings they should be fine which is why I said when in doubt go with 1C charge rate.

This is the charger I have http://www.giantshark.co.uk/power-a6...-p-404612.html

Sorry for the stupid questions but I don't understand what you mean by 1C charge rate?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: StarscreamF22

This is the charger I have http://www.giantshark.co.uk/power-a6...-p-404612.html

Sorry for the stupid questions but I don't understand what you mean by 1C charge rate?
if I read the specs right then it will be able to charge your 5s pack at 5.8amps.

1c charge rate relates to the MAH divided by 1000. so, 5,800mah divided by 1000 gives you 5.8....the amp rate you should charge at.
But some lipo packs will say 2c or higher (obviously higher grade lipos) so a 2c capable pack means if it is 5000mah...you could charge it a 10amps. Doesn't mean you have to....and your charger can do 6amps max.

Charging at less than 1c is pointless. charging a 5000mah pack at 2.5amps wont really make it last any longer. And since many chargers have a "time-out" function, it may just make it so you have to start the charging cycle twice. My charger will time out if a pack takes more than 120minutes to charge.

So as stated earlier, charge your 5s at 5.8 and your 4500mah pack at 4.5amps
Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 PM
StarscreamF22

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

if I read the specs right then it will be able to charge your 5s pack at 5.8amps.

1c charge rate relates to the MAH divided by 1000. so, 5,800mah divided by 1000 gives you 5.8....the amp rate you should charge at.
But some lipo packs will say 2c or higher (obviously higher grade lipos) so a 2c capable pack means if it is 5000mah...you could charge it a 10amps. Doesn't mean you have to....and your charger can do 6amps max.

Charging at less than 1c is pointless. charging a 5000mah pack at 2.5amps wont really make it last any longer. And since many chargers have a ''time-out'' function, it may just make it so you have to start the charging cycle twice. My charger will time out if a pack takes more than 120minutes to charge.

So as stated earlier, charge your 5s at 5.8 and your 4500mah pack at 4.5amps
Thanks very much to both of you for making that clear to me. Does the same apply for a NiMH battery, I have one that's 4600mAh, charge that at 4.6amps?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I've done a 5200mah NiMh at 5amps(max the charger I have for NiMh's can do) and it charged fine.
Only issue is it would false peak(report it as fully charged) a lot which a slower charge rate would not cause as much. I had to hit the charge cycle back on a few times to get it charged when going at full blast.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I've done a 5200mah NiMh at 5amps(max the charger I have for NiMh's can do) and it charged fine.
Only issue is it would false peak(report it as fully charged) a lot which a slower charge rate would not cause as much. I had to hit the charge cycle back on a few times to get it charged when going at full blast.
my thunder AC6 does the same thing with nimhs...false peak. I have to charge a 1/2 to 3/4 c in order for it not to false peak. Not really a problem as I rarely have to charge a nimh pack tho.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Eman77

I disagree, and agree with SyCo - it comes down to Wattage.

Yes, that charger can charge at 6 amps, but has a 50W output limit.

How many Watts does a 5s pack charged at 5.8 amps require?
Watts = Volts X Amps

Volts = 5 * 3.7 = 18.5 Volts (3.7 volts/cell, it's a 5s pack)
Amps = 5.8

So Watts required = 18.5 * 5.8 = 107.3

This doesn't even take into account inefficiencies in the charger - and that charger is only raged at 50 Watts. So you can try at 5.8 Amps, but it won't get there. You might be able to charge at 2.7 amps though. It won't hurt either way, give it a shot - but don't be surprised if it's not charging at 5.8 Amps.

Folks always forget to take the Watts into account - for a normal 2S pack, it's usually not an issue (example, you'd need 43 Watts to charge one at 5.8 Amps) - but for those big voltage packs, your average charger sometimes isn't up to snuff.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

I disagree, and agree with SyCo - it comes down to Wattage.

Yes, that charger can charge at 6 amps, but has a 50W output limit.

How many Watts does a 5s pack charged at 5.8 amps require?
Watts = Volts X Amps

Volts = 5 * 3.7 = 18.5 Volts (3.7 volts/cell, it's a 5s pack)
Amps = 5.8

So Watts required = 18.5 * 5.8 = 107.3

This doesn't even take into account inefficiencies in the charger - and that charger is only raged at 50 Watts. So you can try at 5.8 Amps, but it won't get there. You might be able to charge at 2.7 amps though. It won't hurt either way, give it a shot - but don't be surprised if it's not charging at 5.8 Amps.

Folks always forget to take the Watts into account - for a normal 2S pack, it's usually not an issue (example, you'd need 43 Watts to charge one at 5.8 Amps) - but for those big voltage packs, your average charger sometimes isn't up to snuff.
Well in all honesty I didn't look at the link(as it came after my post), that was based on what he said, and I also said if its around a 60Watt charger 3.3amps would be the rate I'd use
Old 07-25-2013, 05:39 PM
StarscreamF22

This is seriously confusing me now. If I were to set the 4500mah to 4.5a and the 5800mah to 5.8a would it damage my charger or lipo even though my charger won't give that amount of ampage?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

This is seriously confusing me now. If I were to set the 4500mah to 4.5a and the 5800mah to 5.8a would it damage my charger or lipo even though my charger won't give that amount of ampage?
Shouldn't probably just won't hit that rate I'd guess.
I'll be honest I've never went over went my charger could do, and I'd guess every one was different.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:49 PM
StarscreamF22

Hmm, can you give me an amp rating in that case for when I charge my 5s 5800, 4s 4500 and my nimh 4600. I need to have a final answer to this problem so I can note it down and use that amps rating for the three batteries from now on, thanks.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:07 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

If you do the math, and use the equation P=I*E(p=power in watts, I current, E voltage) then assume its charging at 4.2volts per cell, and replace P with 50 watts it would be Charge rate=50/(4.2*the cell amount)

2.3A for the 5S
3 amps for the 4S

Note it might time out at those settings as it was said earlier some charges time out after awhile, and need to be restarted.

Personally I'd get a 100watt charger for batteries of that size so they can be charged at 1S in an hour cause at those ratings it will take like 2.5 hours for the 5S to charge, and 1.5 for the 4S

NiMh is fine at 4.6A that should be an hour if it don't false peak. NiMh's are more of a trial and error thing as if it doesn't false peak, and sits about an hour on the charger it is fine, but if it false peaks you will have to lower it a lil at a time till you find a rate it fully charges at
Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 PM
StarscreamF22

Thanks, appreciate the help greatly, any particular charger you recommed?