Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Is this Stampede a good deal, great deal, or not really? Pics included

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is this Stampede a good deal, great deal, or not really? Pics included

Old 08-15-2013, 05:05 PM
swiss82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this Stampede a good deal, great deal, or not really? Pics included

[TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #EDEDED"]So Ive got another thread here in the forum asking about sc trucks; specifically the Slash...but after reading and thinking about it, I'm thinking a monster truck may suit my needs a little better. There is no chance ill be racing, just bashing around sand, gravel, dirt, grass ect... so thinking a good deal on a Stampede may fit me better then a slash or another sc truck...

I found this deal locally. Please tell me what you think. I can't find anything too comparable in the for sale section or ebay to know if its a really good deal. (money is a factor for me)

Taxxas Stampede VXL 2wd (i wish it was 4x4)
Just about everything is new.
upgraded shocks/suspension as you can see
6 batteries: 1 Vensom 3s 4000mah lipo, 3 venom 3000nimh, 1 venom 4200nimh, 1 DTX 4200nimh
New Venom charger
New Motor in box: Traxxas (in addition to the one in the truck)
remote
3 sets of tires and wheels
still has all working stock pieces in a box
extra springs, bolts, nuts, tools

he says he has over $1200 invested in it, he also says it will go 85mph...not sure how thats possible.... If this was 4x4 i think id jump on it...what do you guys think? is it worth going for a 2wd stampede?

Seller wants $300...says the extra motor and charger are worth that alone...what do you guys think?[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	1908336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	1908337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1736.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	695.8 KB
ID:	1908338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2532.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	1908339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7705.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	1908340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7880.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	1908341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8877.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	1908342  
Old 08-15-2013, 06:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO the seller is full of crap
The batteries are NiMh's that are probably trashed from a BL setup on a pede, and some have tamiya connectors on them...
The charger you can get one for $50

As for invested $1200 yea... He invested that much into replacing parts he broke I bet cause he sucked at driving. I've seen idiots list box stock XL-5's for $400 cause they put $2k worth of stock parts into it.
I'd offer him $200 tops, and that would only be if he took all that crappy integy aluminum off, and put the stock parts back on

But hey that is just my opinion if you want wait for others to chime in.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-15-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:50 PM
swiss82

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
IMO the seller is full of crap
The batteries are NiMh's that are probably trashed from a BL setup on a pede, and some have tamiya connectors on them...
The charger you can get one for $50

As for invested $1200 yea... He invested that much into replacing parts he broke I bet cause he sucked at driving. I've seen idiots list box stock XL-5's for $400 cause they put $2k worth of stock parts into it.
I'd offer him $200 tops, and that would only be if he took all that crappy integy aluminum off, and put the stock parts back on

But hey that is just my opinion if you want wait for others to chime in.
Thanks so much for you opinion!
so 5 of the 6 batteries are probably no good, or at least not worth much? what are tamiya connectors?

can you explain what you mean about the crappy integy aluminum stuff and you are saying stock is better? how about the aluminum shocks?
sorry, I'm a noob so I'm trying to understand.

so, the whole package is not a steal at $300?

thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:00 PM
BMKTW2

So much bling-bling. I dont wanna tell you dont get it because its not a crazy asking price, but for a newbie just getting into RC, I would recommend spend less than $100 and get something to experiment with. Like an RC10T/B or a Traxxas bandit/rustler used from the forum or ebay. Just make sure you print out the instruction manual and just tinker with it. The RC10 will be quick as a stampede, but not flip over so much.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

No its not a steal you got a pile of worthless aluminum parts, and it looks like a pile of extras, but those are stock parts. You do get a set of what looks like street tires, but IMO that is not a real good reason to buy it.

Integy junk is in reference to the poor quality as the majority of their aluminum parts are cast aluminum, which bend easy. Those shocks are just for show as I've seen integy shocks get twisted after one jump. Basically I'll just pass along what one of my favorite hobby shop employees ever said(so wish he still worked there) Integy is made if you want an impressive looking shiny display piece that has no real functionality.

ebay has NIB Pedes for $310 shipped from omnimodels you would want to get a better charger though for $40 or so(and a lipo battery eventually for $22ish)

As for tamiya connectors that is in reference to the white connectors those were very popular in the 80s-90s on Tyco RC's(and plenty of other things), and are meant for low current applications. A BL system would literally melt that plug they pull so much juice.
I had a way better post written, but when I looked at a pic closer it opened it in my tab, and erased it...
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 AM
swiss82

Originally Posted by BMKTW2
So much bling-bling. I dont wanna tell you dont get it because its not a crazy asking price, but for a newbie just getting into RC, I would recommend spend less than $100 and get something to experiment with. Like an RC10T/B or a Traxxas bandit/rustler used from the forum or ebay. Just make sure you print out the instruction manual and just tinker with it. The RC10 will be quick as a stampede, but not flip over so much.
thanks!
and thanks for the suggestions. The RC10T is made by Losi or team associated? what style truck is it? Can you show me an example of one? when i google it, I'm not sure i see a clear example... Are you saying I can get a RTR one for less then $100? can you point me in the direction of one?

Also, the Traxxas bandit is a buggy correct? and the Rustler is a truck...but Im trying to figure out what kind of truck the Rustler is? Im thinking a truck may suite me better then a buggy. I have heard that the Rustler is a stadium truck, but to be honest, i don't know that that means compared to a SC truck or a Monster truck...?

If I can get one of these trucks you suggested for less then $100, that would be awesome. For less then $100, would they be brushed and nimh? or brushless and lipo?

Anymore help you can give me is appreciated!
Thanks again

Last edited by swiss82; 08-16-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 AM
swiss82

No its not a steal you got a pile of worthless aluminum parts, and it looks like a pile of extras, but those are stock parts. You do get a set of what looks like street tires, but IMO that is not a real good reason to buy it.

Integy junk is in reference to the poor quality as the majority of their aluminum parts are cast aluminum, which bend easy. Those shocks are just for show as I've seen integy shocks get twisted after one jump. Basically I'll just pass along what one of my favorite hobby shop employees ever said(so wish he still worked there) Integy is made if you want an impressive looking shiny display piece that has no real functionality.

ebay has NIB Pedes for $310 shipped from omnimodels you would want to get a better charger though for $40 or so(and a lipo battery eventually for $22ish)

As for tamiya connectors that is in reference to the white connectors those were very popular in the 80s-90s on Tyco RC's(and plenty of other things), and are meant for low current applications. A BL system would literally melt that plug they pull so much juice.
I had a way better post written, but when I looked at a pic closer it opened it in my tab, and erased it...
Thank you SyCo.
yea, all those aluminum parts look great to a noob like myself and I am glad I asked before I jumped into it. Thanks
any suggestions on a truck for someone who is on a tight budget like myself? either a tuck or a style? thinking a monster truck may suite me best since I won't be racing it. what do you think?
Thanks again
Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

On that spend less then $100 thing... kinda agree, but disagree at the same time cause if you buy a cheap RC they generally break easier then the somewhat more expensive ones (this is buying new btw), and the saving you did get amplified in the long run by having to buy part after part.

Now as for buying used 99% chance it would be brushed. Now if traxxas didn't skyrocket their prices I would suggest a brushed stampede as an intro vehicle like when they were $175, but now that they slapped $50 more onto the price I cant say that.
If you want to spend under $200 on a new truck look at www.horizonhobby.com and search for ECX a few people here have owned them, and said they are pretty decent trucks for the price. Or if you have a local hobby shop go check what they sell parts for so when something breaks(not if) you can get a part right away(unless you don't mind waiting a few days online).
As for brushless new its more like $300, or used they start around $200 from what I seen.

And yes the aluminum everything is very easy for new people to get in and piss away a ton of cash. My 1st RC I spent over $150 on aluminum pieces just to have to take $80 of them off as they caused more damage then they prevented. Basically aluminum as they don't flex transfers kinetic energy to the next weakest link (generally hinges, and pins) as they don't flex so the piece has to dissipate more of a pounding. Plastic on the other hand will bend, and flex causing the energy to deflect. Also the aluminum add to the energy as they increase the weight of the RC over the plastic.
Not saying all aluminum is bad though generally knuckles, C-hubs, and the rear carriers are good things to have in aluminum, as well as chassis braces, and shock towers(but those should be at least T6000+ CNC grade). Arms, skid plates, and quite a few other pieces are worthless

OHHHH just read about this in another post http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBXHN&P=7 You would need a charger, and battery but you could get those for under $80 easily if a buggy would suit your needs. or http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XBXHM&P=3#tech for a stadium truck

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-16-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 PM
BMKTW2

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...l#post12455292
This blitz ese would make a really good entry level RC
Asking $140 shipped OBO...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1097268d1375651662-blitz-ese-20130804_143926.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	1909264   Click image for larger version

Name:	1097269d1375651691-blitz-ese-20130804_144831.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	1909266  
Old 08-16-2013, 07:18 PM
BMKTW2

And yes the aluminum everything is very easy for new people to get in and piss away a ton of cash. My 1st RC I spent over $150 on aluminum pieces just to have to take $80 of them off as they caused more damage then they prevented. Basically aluminum as they don't flex transfers kinetic energy to the next weakest link (generally hinges, and pins) as they don't flex so the piece has to dissipate more of a pounding. Plastic on the other hand will bend, and flex causing the energy to deflect. Also the aluminum add to the energy as they increase the weight of the RC over the plastic.
Not saying all aluminum is bad though generally knuckles, C-hubs, and the rear carriers are good things to have in aluminum, as well as chassis braces, and shock towers(but those should be at least T6000+ CNC grade). Arms, skid plates, and quite a few other pieces are worthless

OHHHH just read about this in another post http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBXHN&P=7 You would need a charger, and battery but you could get those for under $80 easily if a buggy would suit your needs. or http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XBXHM&P=3#tech for a stadium truck
I have to agree %100%

The tower hobbies you linked: Thunder Tiger Phoenix XB Brushless 2.4GHz RTR
Is an excellent deal! Comes with a brushless motor and all.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:13 AM
BMKTW2

I just found out it has plastic planetary diff gears. I guess you get what you pay for here^
Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 AM
BMKTW2

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-e...iff-gears.html
Old 08-18-2013, 01:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

err it has a ball diff not planetary... so unless that dude bought a modded one its not likely he had any idea what he was talkin about
Old 08-19-2013, 06:11 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you wanna buy new:
brushed ECX torment, RTR, 2.4ghz radio, battery included (tho it is a 1800mah nimh) $150 shipped on ebay. Tough truck. 20mph out of the box. closer to 30mph if you use a 2s lipo battery.

thunder tiger phoenix XB or XT pro. Brushless buggy/truck which is really a RC10 B3/T3. Brushless system installed, nice radio, steel driveshafts, ball diff, alloy shocks. $200 shipped from tower hobbies. Rear tires wear out quick (soft compound rubber) and my XB had some poor assembly (loose slipper, sloppy wires) but once I fixed that stuff it held up awesome. over 20 lipo packs threw it and only broke 2 parts. that's 10 hours of runtime!
Doesn't come with a battery tho. so $200 for the rc, and figure another $80 for a 2s lipo and charger, plus $5 for a plug to replace the Tamiya plug that comes on the speed control (Tamiya plugs suck)

Those are the 2 best RTR models that are $200 or less and 1/10 scale.

as for that pede, I wouldn't pay more than $200. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for any used 2wd VXL. they cost $300 new....so even with good upgrades and a couple batts/charger ect $200 is the most it would be worth.....cause even with upgrades its still used and not worth what it would cost to buy it new.

If you really like the pede vxl....you can do a 3 pay on tower hobbies. buy it new for $300 and pay $100 for 3 months. No worries about if its been abused and it will be under warrenty.

Last edited by nitrosportsandrunner; 08-19-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

The RC10T is made by Losi or team associated? what style truck is it? Can you show me an example of one? when i google it, I'm not sure i see a clear example... Are you saying I can get a RTR one for less then $100? can you point me in the direction of one?
The RC10T is Associated, and there are several generations of it.

A first generation truck has the same chassis as the RC10 gold pan buggy, but with longer control arms & links. The early 1st gen will have white plastics, later on they went black.

Second generation is referred to as the T2. It is still a metal chassis, but now has more parts commonality with the RC10GT than the buggy

Third is the T3, which now sports a plastic tub and new control arms. Still many common parts with the GT

The T4 is a new animal. I believe the main chassis is similar to the T3, but it now uses new shock towers and body mounts

The T4.1 & 4.2 are basically just updated T4, with minor revisions mainly aimed at dealing with brushless & LiPo power

Honestly, a T2 would probably be the best choice for a builder, as the parts commonality with the heavily aftermarket supported RC10GT will give you tons of upgrade options. The other way you could go if you want electric is to buy an RC10GT roller and convert it. The conversion mount is about $25, and you end up with a very tough chassis sporting a mid-engine layout, and you can get things like alloy transmission housings for the GT, which I don't believe are currently available for the electric stealth trans in the earlier trucks. The T4, 4.1 & 4.2 have pretty good aftermarket support, but you're not likely to get into one of those on the cheap. Still too new.

Last edited by Sixtysixdeuce; 08-19-2013 at 10:58 AM.