Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HELP. ESC setting for LiPo.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:11 PM
StarscreamF22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP. ESC setting for LiPo.

I received my HobbyWing program box and need to program my ESC for my 4s 4500mAh 20C LiPos. Other than choosing the 4s setting for the ESC I don't have a clue what else to choose for example the voltage cut off and the many other options. Can someone be kind enough to maybe tell me exactly what settings to choose for each option. My ESC is a Xerun 150a, thanks.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:06 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people set their LVC to 3.2V per cell. For the rest of your setting options, experiment! Punch Control is one setting you might want to start off with a high setting, maybe 7 or 8, then scale back to something lower, 2 to 3, when you get used to the acceleration. Drag Brake, try 2 or 4. Brake, probably no more than 4 or 5 depending on your surface and how much it locks up. Part of the fun of a new ESC is playing with the settings, so like I said, experiment. Find what you like.

The Xerun/EZrun user manual's descriptions of the programable functions can be a little hard to grasp, being translations, so if you have any specific questions about what the function does, post again.

Another suggestion: Next time you buy LiPos, pay a little more and get ones with a higher C-rating. For a 150A ESC, at least 50C, if not 60C or higher.
Those 20C packs are going to get pretty warm. In all things electronic, heat is bad. The cooler everything runs, the longer it will last. I have mere 35A EZrun ESCs and they will heat up a 2S 20C pack to well over 110F. Best to keep them under 100F. I got 40C packs and they run much cooler. Also, be sure to use the Storage Charge function on your charger, and store-charge your lipos as soon as you can after you're done for the day. DO NOT keep your lipos charged. It will shorten their lifetime and reduce their capacity.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:42 PM
StarscreamF22

These are the current settings on the ESC.

Running mode - Forward/Reverse/Brake
Drag Brake Force - On 0% by default
Low voltage cut off - Currently on 3.2v by default
Punch - level 5
Max brake force - 25%
Max reverse force - 25%
Initial brake force - drag brake force
Neutral range - 9%
Timing - Can't remember
Over heat protection - Enabled
Motor rotation - CCW
LiPo cells - 4 cells

This is the LiPo I am thinking of getting. http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...Lipo_Pack.html
Old 08-19-2013, 03:40 PM
StarscreamF22

Bump for help
Old 08-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by StarscreamF22 View Post
Bump for help
3.0v minimum and would use 3.2v or 3.4v to be safe
Old 08-20-2013, 12:27 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StarscreamF22 View Post
These are the current settings on the ESC.

Running mode - Forward/Reverse/Brake
Drag Brake Force - On 0% by default
Low voltage cut off - Currently on 3.2v by default
Punch - level 5
Max brake force - 25%
Max reverse force - 25%
Initial brake force - drag brake force
Neutral range - 9%
Timing - Can't remember
Over heat protection - Enabled
Motor rotation - CCW
LiPo cells - 4 cells

This is the LiPo I am thinking of getting. http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...Lipo_Pack.html
Those settings look fine. Personally, I like a little Drag Brake (motor-braking when throttle is neutral) I think I set mine for 10%.
Depending on your running surface, you might want to play around with the Max Brake Force setting. In dirt, too much brake force locks up the rear wheels and causes spin outs. But you do want enough to at least slow you down to low-damage velocity before you hit something.

That looks like a good battery. I don't know much about Turnigy. $65 for a 4S?! That's a good deal. Funny tho, the picture of that Turnigy 4S pack you linked actually shows a 2S pack. THIS is what a 4S pack looks like: http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...se-direct.html