Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

rc10 classic

Old 10-16-2013, 06:51 AM
xplayer930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc10 classic

Just received my rc10 classic yesterday after pre-ordering it back in June. Anyone else acquire this kit yet? The packaging itself came very nicely, not sure how today cars come because this is my first car in 11 years. Looks exactly as it did back when I was 5 in 1990.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 AM
upnsmoke

Hi xplayer, I just bought one from my local hobby shop. I have put a little bit of it together. So far it goes together nice. I can't wait to get it together and run it. My friend has an 80's rc10gt that I always liked, and this car reminds me of it. To me some of the newer off road cars handle so well that they are actually less fun to drive, if you know what I mean. I think I am going to get a bearing kit from Associated as soon as it comes available. I also want to get a wheel conversion kit to preserve the wheels and tires that come with the kit, even though I think 2.2" wheels will look a little funny. I would just use them for fooling around on pavement and the like.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 AM
xplayer930

Originally Posted by upnsmoke View Post
Hi xplayer, I just bought one from my local hobby shop. I have put a little bit of it together. So far it goes together nice. I can't wait to get it together and run it. My friend has an 80's rc10gt that I always liked, and this car reminds me of it. To me some of the newer off road cars handle so well that they are actually less fun to drive, if you know what I mean. I think I am going to get a bearing kit from Associated as soon as it comes available. I also want to get a wheel conversion kit to preserve the wheels and tires that come with the kit, even though I think 2.2" wheels will look a little funny. I would just use them for fooling around on pavement and the like.
I actually got more done than I expected this week. Basically everything but the shocks and body are finished. I am trying to keep it looking as original as possible, so I bought a Reedy 17t motor. No idea if this is slow or fast. Looking on ebay for an old novak speed control. I have an original in bag analog control which requires a servo but to run that I will need a second battery tray. As of now I say I wont run the car, but that could change. I haven't driven a new car in some time, due to college, grad, an med school over the past 9 years. This is my first build in ages. Contemplating either a Mugen mbx5 or a hpi Baja as my next car
Old 10-19-2013, 05:41 PM
OvalRacer99

Sweet, still have the one I bought when they were first introduces in 1985. Has some dirt and scratches but sit just as it did the day I took it off the track!!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:08 AM
upnsmoke

1/8 buggies are fun. I have a sportwerks turmoil that I play around with. I imagine the RC10 would be plenty fast with a 17turn. I'm going to use an old 27 turn stock motor I used to race with just to get it going. I might go to a lower turn motor later, but I don't imagine I will put a brushless in it. Have you had any thoughts on painting the body? I was thinking of trying to match the picture on the box, but I haven't looked at what color(s) to use yet. I am definitely going to run this car. I hate to get it dirty, but I'm not going to let it set on the shelf either. It's really cool you have your old one Ovalracer. Did you race it a lot back in the 80's?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 AM
xplayer930

Originally Posted by upnsmoke View Post
1/8 buggies are fun. I have a sportwerks turmoil that I play around with. I imagine the RC10 would be plenty fast with a 17turn. I'm going to use an old 27 turn stock motor I used to race with just to get it going. I might go to a lower turn motor later, but I don't imagine I will put a brushless in it. Have you had any thoughts on painting the body? I was thinking of trying to match the picture on the box, but I haven't looked at what color(s) to use yet. I am definitely going to run this car. I hate to get it dirty, but I'm not going to let it set on the shelf either. It's really cool you have your old one Ovalracer. Did you race it a lot back in the 80's?
So is a lower turn motor more powerful? Not sure how that works, I always had nitro cars. As for the body I plan on painting it just like the original on the box. Word of caution; if you haven't built the shocks yet, make sure when you use the insert tool for placing the snap an O-rings in that you actually hear it click into the shock body. My front right shock was leaking all over, and I had to address the issue. Took an awful lot of force to snap it in place.