Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

TS4TE SCT Steering problem. Not returning to straight/ neutral after Left Turn

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

TS4TE SCT Steering problem. Not returning to straight/ neutral after Left Turn

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Custnam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TS4TE SCT Steering problem. Not returning to straight/ neutral after Left Turn

Hello All. Ive got an steering issue Im hoping someone can help me with. The car is a Team C Racing TS4TE SCT, with a Hitec HS-645MG Servo. What the car is doing in not tracking straight after a left turn. Ill get all the trims and alignment perfect, run the car and it tracks back to straight if I turn right, but if I make any left turn the car drifts to the right. Redo the trim and the same thing happens over and over.

Heres what Ive tried.

Make sure nothing is binding. GOOD.
Make sure the servo itself goes back to Neutral. GOOD.
Tried several different tensions on the servo saver spring. Makes no difference.
Check all linkage and alignment for same lengths left and right. GOOD.
Tested my radio on my other 2 cars. Not the radio for sure.
Tried different tires. Made no difference.
Tried to manually track it back to straight by turning the wheel slightly left to
correct the right drift but it still does it.

So Im at a loss here. It only happens after left turns. Turning right and letting go of the steering tracks back to neutral (Straight) like it should. If theres something I havent tested, or you have any suggestions please let me know. This is quite frustrating. Other than this the truck is by far the best RC Ive had. Thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When its tracking to the left, see if u can keep it tracking and have a look at the steering without touching it... Is it physically turned? I mean can u visually see that its off centre??
Old 04-19-2014, 01:53 AM
Custnam

Originally Posted by phmaximus
When its tracking to the left, see if u can keep it tracking and have a look at the steering without touching it... Is it physically turned? I mean can u visually see that its off centre??
Yes, it is physically off center. Just as is Im turning it to the right slightly when Im not.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:33 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is really ODD. So after a LEFT turn, it over-corrects to just right of center? Very odd indeed. Does this occur if, say, you disconnect the steering linkage from the servo arm? Can you see the phenomenon happen then? (I see in your OP that you checked the servo, and it centered, but I'm assuming you took it out of the car.) If you see the servo doing this while it's still in the car.......... nah, forget that. I cannot think of one reason why a servo would center itself to just right of center after a left turn. I could see it doing so after a RIGHT turn. Or, not centering to just left of center after a left turn. But "centering" to the RIGHT after a LEFT? You got me.....

Any chance you can try another servo? Borrow one from a friend? If you can try another servo with the same setup, and IT doesn't exhibit the centering issue, I'd say maybe the Hitec servo has a fault. Then maybe you could get Hitec to replace it.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:28 PM
phmaximus

sounds like the servo is stuffed or not powerfull enough ands overheating...

as far as servos go that's not a good servo for a sct... u really need something twice as powerfull
Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Custnam

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
That is really ODD. So after a LEFT turn, it over-corrects to just right of center? Very odd indeed. Does this occur if, say, you disconnect the steering linkage from the servo arm? Can you see the phenomenon happen then? (I see in your OP that you checked the servo, and it centered, but I'm assuming you took it out of the car.) If you see the servo doing this while it's still in the car.......... nah, forget that. I cannot think of one reason why a servo would center itself to just right of center after a left turn. I could see it doing so after a RIGHT turn. Or, not centering to just left of center after a left turn. But "centering" to the RIGHT after a LEFT? You got me.....

Any chance you can try another servo? Borrow one from a friend? If you can try another servo with the same setup, and IT doesn't exhibit the centering issue, I'd say maybe the Hitec servo has a fault. Then maybe you could get Hitec to replace it.
Yes, after a left turn it overcorrects and turns right. Ive tried 2 other servos, linkage, toe in, toe out, receiver, radio, refilled and checked all 3 diffs. And took it to the hobby shop where I bought it and there 2 employees tried but couldnt figure it out. So needless to say Im stumped. They said all they can think of is to just drive it and hope it fixes itself by getting worn in.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 AM
EXT2Rob

Sounds like the servo is faulty to me. The LHS guys were stumped, and they saw the problem. If you bought it from them, they should replace it. If you didn't buy it from them, I'd take it up with Hitec. They're supposed to have really good customer service.

Max is right tho, that 645MG is a little on the weak side for a SC truck, tho it's a solid servo. It might work fine for a while, but the truck is putting a lot of strain on it. You might want to get something with a little more oomph to it, like something nearer to 200oz/in.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:37 AM
Custnam

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Sounds like the servo is faulty to me. The LHS guys were stumped, and they saw the problem. If you bought it from them, they should replace it. If you didn't buy it from them, I'd take it up with Hitec. They're supposed to have really good customer service.

Max is right tho, that 645MG is a little on the weak side for a SC truck, tho it's a solid servo. It might work fine for a while, but the truck is putting a lot of strain on it. You might want to get something with a little more oomph to it, like something nearer to 200oz/in.
I bought the Hitec from Amazon and they have already sent a replacement. Ill be getting and testing it today. I plan on getting a Savox soon, but bought the Hitec because I had enough money at the time and wanted to be able to complete and drive my new TS4TE kit.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:47 AM
phmaximus

I think u missed my post...no worries.
But that servo is not suited for 4x4 SCT,s u really should be using a 1/8 surface servo
Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 AM
EXT2Rob

If you get a Savox, you should probably get an external BEC for it. They suck tons of current.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Custnam

Originally Posted by phmaximus
I think u missed my post...no worries.
But that servo is not suited for 4x4 SCT,s u really should be using a 1/8 surface servo
Did you read my post? I said the Hitec is temporary until I get a Savox.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:39 AM
phmaximus

Makes sence if it worked

I wasent to sure if u understood that the servo in question was not up to the task even temporally. There is a very high chance that using it (even for a short time) most likely burnt out the servo.

When u get the replacement servo I wouldent recomend using it. But. With any luck this might help u out... It's twice the power and under $10 including postage..... Good luck I hope u get it sourted and don't forget some savox servos can draw more current than what the BEC can supply... If the current is excessive it WILL fry the ESC....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOWER-PRO-MG...item23372216d3
Old 04-25-2014, 11:56 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by Custnam
Turning right and letting go of the steering tracks back to neutral (Straight) like it should.
so if you turn left and "let go" of the wheel the truck will track to the right? I know you said you tested the radio in other vehicles but I want to rule something out. I've had more than one radio where turning the wheel halfway or more in one direction and letting go would result in the vehicle turning slightly in the opposite direction. Turns out when turned more than halfway and released, the wheel on the radio had enough momentum to start going the other direction and the springs wouldn't quite center it afterwards. I've had some radios where you could hear the springs making their boinnnggg sound and watch the wheel shake side to side after releasing it from full lock. You can test this by slowly turning the wheel back to center instead of just releasing it. On radios with adjustable spring tension often a slight adjustment would cure this problem.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 04-26-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Custnam

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
so if you turn left and "let go" of the wheel the truck will track to the right? I know you said you tested the radio in other vehicles but I want to rule something out. I've had more than one radio where turning the wheel halfway or more in one direction and letting go would result in the vehicle turning slightly in the opposite direction. Turns out when turned more than halfway and released, the wheel on the radio had enough momentum to start going the other direction and the springs wouldn't quite center it afterwards. I've had some radios where you could hear the springs making their boinnnggg sound and watch the wheel shake side to side after releasing it from full lock. You can test this by slowly turning the wheel back to center instead of just releasing it. On radios with adjustable spring tension often a slight adjustment would cure this problem.
Thats a good point and suggetion. Also something I hadnt thought of. I tried my Traxxas TQi system in the car and it still had the issue. I dont think its the radio for that reason, and because I am using the same radio in 2 other cars with no issues. I just did a complete (85% or so) tear down and rebuild of the entire kit. Checking for binding, trying different parts on different sides, etc. I just finished it today and will be testing it later.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by Custnam
Thats a good point and suggetion. Also something I hadnt thought of. I tried my Traxxas TQi system in the car and it still had the issue. I dont think its the radio for that reason, and because I am using the same radio in 2 other cars with no issues. I just did a complete (85% or so) tear down and rebuild of the entire kit. Checking for binding, trying different parts on different sides, etc. I just finished it today and will be testing it later.
Well it would be very easy to overlook this possibility after all how hard is it to turn the wheel. Makes it sound really stupid but it would be very easy to not use the same "testing procedure" and turning the wheel in the same manner with each vehicle and radio you tried. Good luck finding the cause and let us know what it was