Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Awful oversteer, HPI Blitz

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 AM
Zonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awful oversteer, HPI Blitz

I recently bought a upgraded HPI Blitz 2wd second hand. I went with my kid to the local RC track the other day for a run and found the truck was a real pig to control. Much worse than my sons slow but stable Slash 2wd. The Blitz has a Turnigy Trackstar 3500kv brushless motor so it has a lot of donk but it is always spinning out on the corners. I've put new Proline Bowties on it, lowered the suspension to about 3cm, added about -1 toe in and -1 degree to the front and rear cambers. Also changed the shock and diff oil the other SCT drivers at the club recommended (2000 diff oil) yet its only made slight improvements. It gets loose on the fast bends and has chronic oversteer to the point of spinning 360 when I turn in the tight bends. It is also extremely loose on the long straight. I've watched the other SCT drivers throw their trucks around with similar setups and they seem to handle perfectly.

The track is hard packed clay, fairly smooth but with a moderate amount of loose dust.

Any tips? Just really want to make the rear end grip.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not very familiar with the Blitz, but I wonder if maybe you've got a bit too much motor? You said your son's Slash is "slow but stable". What motor is he and the others running? The other things I would've suggested, you've done. 2wd cars do tend to be more tail-happy, and tend to be harder to drive than a 4wd, but then, it teaches you car control, too. How is the truck's balance? Is one end heavier than the other? 2wd rear motor trucks tend to be ass-heavy anyway, but maybe yours needs some balancing weights? To the front, that is. If the truck gets upset by bumpy surfaces, go lighter on the shock fluid.

AH, just thought of one more thing: try moving your lower shock mounts to the outermost hole, both front and rear.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 05-21-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Zonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man, I'll give the suspension a rework. Maybe detuning the motor might help stability.