Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ECX Boost - race or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:53 AM
loaba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECX Boost - race or replace?

My 11 yr-old has a 20t brushed ECX Boost 2wd buggy. Car is a year old and has zero issues. Shocks are perhaps a little lacking, but the car seems fast enough.

Question 1 - Is it better to do little things like rebuild (or replace) the shocks and maybe run a LiPo battery (meaning I might need to replace the stock ESC as well), or should the car be shelved in favor of a "real" car?

Question 2 - Track costs being what they are and considering time restraints, I figure we can do 2 days of practice and one novice race per week (maybe stretch things out to every two weeks). With that in mind, again, is it worth it to upgrade?

Question 3 - Time and again, I hear people say 2wd short course is a good starting place (if not 4wd) - kid's been on this car for a year and he knows how squirley it is. If we do elect to upgrade, should I just keep him on 1:10 2wd buggies? I kind of think the answer is yes.

Thoughts and input highly welcomed - thanks in advance.

/ - I like short course, but the kid probably has his own ideas... funny that. :-)

Last edited by loaba; 12-04-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:23 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

First, go to the track, or call/email, and find out what classes are being run. If there is a novice class, start there.
[h=3]ECX Boost Racing - Practice Time on the Track[/h]
Old 12-04-2014, 05:55 PM
RustyUs

I wouldn't say you can't race a Boost, but you will need to upgade at least the motor and ESC and battery from stock. Maybe some adjustable turnbuckles of some sort for fine tuning. For the motor, you would have to know what classes are available. Something like 17.5 Spec Class motor? I know the track around my parts has practice during the week (for a price of course). This is where you can get a good idea (with the right tires) if the buggy can handle the track; clear the jumps. Putting some laps in will tell you whether or not you should go all out and upgrade the Boost .

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-04-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:53 PM
loaba

Originally Posted by RustyUs
I wouldn't say you can't race a Boost, but you will need to upgade at least the motor and ESC and battery from stock. Maybe some adjustable turnbuckles of some sort for fine tuning. For the motor, you would have to know what classes are available. Something like 17.5 Spec Class motor?
They do race 17.5 spec at our track - so I'll need to price out a suitable motor and ESC. Suspension adjustments don't immediately worry me, I figure I can cross that bridge when/if he breaks something. As for the motor/ECS, I'd want to keep that right around $100.00. Think that's feasible?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:42 PM
loaba

http://www.horizonhobby.com/CSE01001...U3UaApHj8P8HAQ

Sidewinder ESC and a Castle 17.5 motor - I think this is very similar to the setup from the video. All for $120.00? I guess it's probably worth it... I certainly can't pick up a new car for that.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:19 AM
RustyUs

Check what classes are the "norm" at the track. I just check the Bumps and Jumps track were I used to race, and the only buggy class is Mod Buggy... If I showed up with a 17.5T motor, I'd be left in the dust, so to say.

Speed Passion combos on eBay can be an alternative for ya and they also have 17.5T combos. That first one in the link is pretty powerful and a upgrade to tranny will probably be needed.

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-05-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:24 AM
loaba

Full Throttle generally races "open" buggy, 2wd "spec" buggy and modded 4wd buggy. As it was explained to me, standard "spec" is 17.5.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:58 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I think you'd want to race spec. I would buy this motor and ESC. These are professional grade electronics on sale for an amazing price. I'd go for it!
Old 12-06-2014, 12:38 PM
loaba

Originally Posted by collector1231
I think you'd want to race spec. I would buy this motor and ESC. These are professional grade electronics on sale for an amazing price. I'd go for it!
Looks good and the price is nice indeed. Leaves room for a shock or tire/wheel combo upgrade too.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 PM
RustyUs

If the shocks don't leak (if they do leak...just rebuild them) and the caps stay on after hard landings, I would opt for the right set of tires over replacing the shocks.

Maybe check back in or update a thread with how you make out racing.

I'm routing for your 11 year old.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:55 AM
tmaxxtrucker
My Feedback: (7)

I race an ECX boost, I am running a Dynamite tazer system 4000kva $100, I use proline electron tires and wheels to fit an AEb4.1. Body is the clear unpainted stock body, shocks are the aluminum upgrade parts from horizon, axles are traxxas rustler axles. Adjustable links are traxxas bandit and rustler ljnks with traxxas erevo rod ends. car is fast and handles well. I run with the big money guys every other week.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	boost1.jpeg
Views:	1448
Size:	840.2 KB
ID:	2068615   Click image for larger version

Name:	boost2.jpeg
Views:	1007
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	2068616