Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Team Associated - RC10B5M Stock Build Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:44 AM
bizarrefish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Team Associated - RC10B5M Stock Build Out

Hi all,

Received some recommendations on another thread regarding getting back into the sport. Having spoken to a few drivers at my local San Diego Raceway its clear 2WD is far more popular than 4WD 1/10 buggies. That has narrowed my decision quite quickly down to a Team Associated RC10B5M as the car that will get me competitive off the bat.

As I have been away from the sport I will go in at the stock class level first to find my driving feet again, however, I am starting from scratch so now looking for recommendations on a stock loadout for all equipment;

Kit: Team Associate RC10B5M
Transmitter: Come from Futaba stable originally.
ESC: Used to use Tekin's
Motor: Open minded
LiPo: Open minded
Steering Servo: Used to use Futaba & KO
Charger (Single/Dual/LiPo only?): Would love to find a 240v and 110v as I may be going back to the UK within 5 years, not essential though.

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Richard
Old 03-04-2015, 03:23 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I am assuming stock class is a 17.5 motor. If so, I have some nice suggestions. I also don't know your budget, but I will try not to spend too terrible much, lol.

Transmitter/servo bundle; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spektrum-DX4...25.m3641.l6368
ESC; http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEDRP&P=FR
Motor; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...rushless-motor
LiPO; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-with-uni-plug
Steering Servo; bundled with transmitter. Great servo, too. I used to have one in my buggy.
Charger; http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXFBZU&P=8
Old 03-04-2015, 05:22 PM
bizarrefish

Great feedback thanks!

Consider budget totally wide open and I will scale back to my budget, prefer to have unfettered feedback initially. Some feedback and questions...

Yes Stock 17.5 seems to be the norm across the class now from reading up.
I hear that Spektrum are the preferred brand nowadays for transmitter?
Receiver's were merged into ESC's nowadays arent they but you need to ensure they are compatible with the servo and transmitter correct?
Great catch on the 110-240v charger.
Saddlepack's are the best for the B5M, it accepts both configurations I think but saddle gives the most flexibility.

I have my old toolbox from the 1990's Schumacher Pro Cat and Tamiya Vanquish days, am I missing any other major accessories worth getting or is this a good start back into the sport?
Old 03-04-2015, 05:43 PM
collector1231

Yeah, Spektrum is the most common 2.4 GHz transmitter these days. Receivers are not merged with ESCs. Any combination of the two in an RC car will work fine. This setup will work, if you were wondering. Yeah, I'd think so, if you have a good set of hex drivers and nut drivers or whatever else you used to use.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:47 PM
collector1231

As far as having no budget, all I would do would grab at least 2x LiPO packs, DX4R Pro and a more powerful servo. I got my DX4R for free through a sweepstakes, and I would still pay retail price for one if I had to.

DX4R PRO; http://www.amain.com/spektrum-dx4r-p...-radio/p268623
Servo; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...h-torque-servo
Old 03-04-2015, 06:41 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I race a b5m. I just got it a couple wheels ago. Its an amazing buggy for sure.
17.5 is stock class. U should be able to race novice class and be able to use a 13.5
I use a spektrum dx4c and savox low profile servo. The electronics are hobbywing. Collector reccomended the atomik system which seems really nice and inexpensive however I bought my b5m used so the hobbywing system was already in it.
I use a saddle pack lipo setup 2s 5600mah 70c 130c burst. Geared 35/76 I think and the motor only gets warm.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:37 PM
bizarrefish

Hey guys,

Quick question before I complete the specification load out of choice, I have read different things in different areas regarding stock and mod racing classes. What leeway do I have?

I'm wanting to start in stock class initially but happy to move on up to mod as quickly as experience allows but without the need to purchase too much more in the equipment stakes.

Do most events allow the running of a mod ESC but with settings turned off and a 17.5T motor? The motor is absolute I know at 17.5T but wonder if I need to get a SPEC ESC or I can spend a bit more for a more capable ESC for dialled down stock running initially?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2015, 01:21 PM
collector1231

You have a lot of room. The B5 is a popular buggy and is highly changeable. You don't really need a spec ESC. Most, if not all, will allow it with the settings turned off.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:28 AM
02Legocat

New to racing. I am interested in racing a Team Associated RC10B5M. Just wanted to get your feed back on your engine, and what you're placing in races. I am only 12, and have experience with numerous different trucks/buggy, but only as a hobby. I am looking into practicing over the winter, and racing in the spring. Any input would be appreciated. I had thought about putting in an Orion Vortex VST 2 Pro 540 with LIPOs. Still doing my research. Thanks.