Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Stampede VXL Servo Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:00 AM
goodatthis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampede VXL Servo Upgrade?

I have a stampede that was originally a 2WD XL-5, but I've replaced some stuff so it's basically a 2WD VXL. I've had some steering troubles on rougher terrain, and I've heard that a good way to solve that is to first get new tires, which I got some proline trenchers, and then beef up the servo setup. Currently there's the stock traxxas 2056 servo, which I've heard is pretty ****ty. What new servo equipment should I get to make it steer better on rougher terrain, without costing too much?

Also, would getting new shocks be a good idea for better handling on rough terrain? I'd appreciate if you could list some things that would improve handling on rougher terrain, that's the main problem. Thanks.

EDIT: I would need the servo to be waterproof.

Last edited by goodatthis; 08-03-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:24 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is for an E-Maxx, should do ok. Only $25. Otherwise a better one might be this Hitec for $54.

As for the shocks, what kind of fluid weight are you using, and, what are the handling issues you are having?
Old 08-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Neil2704

I'd start with the servo, before you upgrade shocks or anything like that. The hitec 645mg is cheap, reliable, powerful, and has all metal gears. As I understand it its pretty much the first mod everyone makes on any rc(or at least i do)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ89&P=ML

If your still not happy with your performance you could look at tuning your suspension. Im not sure if the stampede has different shock placement holes to adjust camber. Basically for any alignment a little toe in is good because when the suspension compresses the wheels toe out. A little toe in will also help the vehicle drive in a straight line since its driving the vehicle into itself on both sides, instead of each wheel trying to drive away from the truck. If you can adjust camber, and you find yourself flipping over to often give yourself a little more negative camber(wheels leaning in at the top) negative camber although bad for tire wear(on real cars at least) will help your cornering ability and speed and will make it harder for your stampede to flip over. Ill spare you on caster, since there is no adjustment for what those angles do lol.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:02 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

The 645MG isn't waterproof. That's why I recommend that 5646WP servo. FYI
Old 08-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Neil2704

Sorry, we made our posts at the same time, I didn't see your post until I posted mine. Waterproof is a nice bonus.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:20 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use the non-waterproof version of the Savox SW0231MG on a scale crawler and have used one in a newer TMaxx 3.3. This would have plenty of power for a Stampede and the price is reasonable. There are several places online that carry them.

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Savox-SW...shoppingengine
Old 08-04-2015, 04:49 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

2056 = 80-90oz (I forget exactly)
645 = 106oz not enough of an upgrade in my opinion plus they're slow
2075 = 125oz and waterproof, nice upgrade from 2056 and much faster than the 645 but the 2075 has all plastic gears
5646 = 156oz waterproof and basically as high as I'd go for a 2wd stampede

another thing to think about with the 2wd is the servo saver. They're generally pretty loose so you lose some steering angle when the wheels are hard to turn on things like rocks and such. This is good as it protects the stock plastic geared servo (all traxxas servos are plastic geared) but it can hurt performance. Metal geared servos like the 5646 also don't need as much protection. Upgrade the servo first and then decide if you want to upgrade the servo saver.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:13 AM
DieHarder

Nobody thinks about speed anymore, it's all about the torque these days... To me, the speed of the servo has the greatest effect on it's handling properties. I tend to buy 150oz/in+ and as fast as possible to achieve the quickest response and real-time feel. Been really happy with the Savox servos, if you can get over the constant self-centering noise that you don't even hear when you're running it or turning.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with you, speed is equally important to torque. The key is matching both for your application. Often times lower priced servos may have higher performance in one or the other, but not both. That's why the big bucks servos usually command the higher prices; they are both fast and strong.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Kemo

Since the stampede isn't a racing rig by any means, my opinion is that you'd be fine with the waterproof 5645 servo from Hitec. Being that it has an ingress protection of 67 (6 being dust tight, 7 being up to 1 meter), you can't really go wrong... unless you really plan on sinking this thing deeper than that. And if you do, good luck finding an IP68 qualified servo
Old 08-10-2015, 05:01 PM
DieHarder

Mine is still going now, 3 years later.