Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Duratrax Evader Tx Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:42 PM
Kamilkaze13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratrax Evader Tx Problem

Hey guy, I have a Duratrax Evader Ext 2.4 and it was running fine today until it suddenly stopped responding to my commands. When I tried to steer to either side the back wheel would spin in different directions but there was no response from the servo. I took it home and checked for faulty connections and everything seemed in order. When I pull the trigger to move forward or backwards it responds fine, but no steering. I bound the transmitter again to the stock rx and still no steering. The ESC works ok I believe. What could it be? Would I have to reset the ESC? If so, how? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:16 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would reverse the ESC and the steering servo's plugs on the receiver. Then use the transmitter's trigger to send signals to the receiver; to test the movement of the steering servo. If no movement from the servo while on the known good channel 2, then it's possible the servo is "fried".

Do you have a multimeter? You could open up the servo case, and do a continuity check on the wires to see if there is a possibility of a wire that has gotten pinched/separated inside the insulation.

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-31-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:34 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd do what Rusty said, swap the throttle and steering connections at the receiver. Doing this will make your throttle trigger the steering, and vice-versa. If pulling on the trigger makes the steering servo move, then your problem is the receiver. If the steering servo DOESN'T move, then the servo is dead. Go buy a $30 Hitec 645MG and slap that in there, you'll be fine.

BTW, have you put bumpers on the car yet? Do so if you haven't yet. It'll save you lots of breakage. The Duratrax front bumper is OK, but you'd be better off getting a front AND rear bumper set from T-Bone Racing. Have you seen my thread on "How to make the Evader bash-proof"? It's got all the stuff I learned about the car in there. You'll find it useful.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Kemo

It might be nice to know that the Evader is based off of Losi's XX platform (although modified for Duratrax so that 100% of the parts aren't interchangeable). Food for thought.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:18 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Kamilkaze13, is the servo that you are talking about, by chance, the stock SX-405WP servo that came with the EXT2.4? Did you get the servo working?

I couldn't find the specs on the servo (go figure), but generally companies skimp on RTR packages to keep prices down. The servo is usually a component that gets the "it'll do for now" treatment from manufactures, and is one area that gets upgraded first.

EXT2Rob's recommendation on the Hitec HS-645MG...thumbs up! It's leaps and bounds better than most servos used in RTR RCs.

And if you are wanting a little more servo speed with the same amount of torque as the HS-645MG, maybe the digital HS-5625MG servo would be more your speed. To go along with the HS-5645MG's digital performance, an aluminum servo horn is included as well.

Last edited by RustyUs; 09-04-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Kamilkaze13

Thank you all for the replies. Sorry I took so long to reply. The servo I am using is an MG 995. I did as you said of switching the rx connector plugs and no movement. I ordered a Hitec 33322s of Amazon.ca. I did put a bumper on my Evader and it does keep the car from getting nasty breaks. Thank you all for the replies. I will keep you guys informed as soon as the servo arrives.