Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Weird grinding noise

Old 10-18-2015, 09:14 AM
jkomerzan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird grinding noise

okay so I bought a brushed volcano epx and converted it to brushless. I installed everything and it works fine. when I start it and barely tap the throttle it makes a weird grinding noise. please help me
Old 10-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Carabidae

what is your setup?
Old 10-18-2015, 10:29 AM
jkomerzan

a 4450kv brushless motor, not sure which brand and a brushless esc not sure what brand either
Old 10-18-2015, 11:01 AM
jkomerzan

GoolRC 3650 4370KV 4P Sensorless Brushless Motor with 45A Brushless ESC(Electric Speed Controller)for 1/10 RC Off-Road Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z9QF8UC..._7W-iwbS76X7ZA
Old 10-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Carabidae

gears? spur/pinion?
Old 10-18-2015, 12:44 PM
jkomerzan

stock gearing
Old 10-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you had no grinding noise before and now you do after changing to brushless. There's two obvious possibilities for this. One is the newfound power of brushless found a weak spot in one (or both) of the front and rear diffs and are now skipping. The other is the mesh between the spur and the pinion.

Lets start art with the easy pinion to spur mesh. You want the mesh as tight as possible while still having just a tiny bit of play between the gears. This means while holding one of the gears still you should be able to rock the other back and forth slightly. Too tight and you'll hear a whirring noise. Too loose and they'll skip or the noise could be more like a grinding sound. Is the spur gear metal? Metal spur gears make a lot of noise period.

Diffs. The Redcat's I've seen have all had very sloppy diffs and I wouldn't be surprised that brushless would cause them to skip and make grinding sounds. Start by removing pinion or moving it away from the spur. Next leave the front or rear wheels on the ground and rotate the spur back and forth by hand checking how much it rotates before trying to move the wheels you have on the ground. If you can rotate it more than a few degrees you have too much slop and need to either shim the diff or replace it.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:56 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I think I know. Its a sensorless combo you installed, which means it will cog at low speeds, which is the rotor and the magnets in the motor trying to get aligned at a low speed. If it acts normally with more then just a little throttle, then you have nothing to worry about. If its not moving at all, you need to recalibrate your endpoints, if you haven't already.