Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need help please

Old 03-01-2016, 07:28 PM
daadgray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please

So my redcat terramotto dies after about 20 seconds. When I plugged in the second battery it sparked could that cause this problem and what is the problem. (ESC, motor,what?)
Old 03-02-2016, 02:45 AM
RustyUs

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm thinking you have a spark because there is a open circuit until you plug in the second battery pack when using a series harness to connect 2 batteries. With only one battery plugged in, the ESC won't get power unless you complete the circuit with the other battery plugged into the other connector. It's quite normal to have a spark occur when connecting batteries, and gets worse (or better...some like insane voltage) when increasing the cell count.

What's not cool is having just connected a battery pack with the wires reversed .
Old 03-02-2016, 04:48 AM
daadgray

Ok well I'm positive I didn't hook my batteries up backwards. What else could cause my truck to shut down? When it dies I can still move the steering but it won't go forwards or backwards. I've pulled the tranny to see if it was binding but all seemed good. I'm lost on this one
Old 03-02-2016, 06:30 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

did you check to make sure that the esc is securely plugged into the receiver? I found that after a few runs I had a receiver where the hole was sloppy and it would loosen over a few weeks of running. Ive known a few ladies like that to, but I digress. Are you using more power than what the ESC is rated for? That too could be shutting it down. How are the packs you are using? cells balanced well? no bad cells?

Last edited by mattster1971; 03-02-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:44 PM
daadgray

So I've changed out the ESC and now it does nothing but beep. Ugh please help
Old 04-06-2016, 03:52 PM
rc18junky

Well first info i would need is if it is a brushless system ?
Old 04-06-2016, 04:57 PM
daadgray

Yes it is brushless it's a redcat terramotto the ESC is 80a
Old 04-06-2016, 06:05 PM
rc18junky

ok so you got a new esc and the light is just blinking? the first thing to check is if the knob on the transmitter that controls the throttle is set to neutral meaning not all the way forward or all the way back but right on the middle of its range. you can do this while the battery is plunged in and the esc is on. once in the middle position give it throttle and see if it moves

still not working ?
are you using a lipo or nimh ?
if you using a nimh battery then the esc is most likely set on lipo and the low votage cutoff is preventing it from working . in which case the esc will need to be reprogrammed
next is making sure the motor is not locked up or the receiver is bad

Last edited by rc18junky; 04-07-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:15 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You also may need to calibrate the new ESC to the transmitter first. There should be a procedure in your manual.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:54 AM
rc18junky

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
You also may need to calibrate the new ESC to the transmitter first. There should be a procedure in your manual.
Yep that could be easily it that to
Old 04-08-2016, 11:26 AM
EXT2Rob

Did you find the Cal procedure, Daad? Get it working?
Old 04-09-2016, 05:18 AM
daadgray

did that now the steering goes all the way to the left then the ESC shuts down. I shut it off and tried again and nothing won't move or steer. And now the light on the receiver doesn't come on.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:21 AM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by daadgray
did that now the steering goes all the way to the left then the ESC shuts down. I shut it off and tried again and nothing won't move or steer. And now the light on the receiver doesn't come on.
Have you checked an made sure none of the wires are torn an shorting out?
Also track down steering servo wire an make sure its not fraid.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:29 AM
EXT2Rob

Another thing to try: unplug the servo from the receiver. Does the receiver act normally now? Can you calibrate the ESC again now? If so, then the servo is foinked. A bad servo can cause the receiver to misbehave. If the receiver and ESC still act the same after the servo is unplugged, then you might have a receiver problem. Or an ESC issue. In any case, I'd say you have a warranty claim. Have you been in contact with Redcat?

If not, or if they haven't been responsive, it sounds like you might want to consider just getting a new receiver if possible. The receiver is "first point of contact" command-wise. If the receiver is foinked nothing will work right. (Did you try re-binding the Tx/Rx?) If you can get a receiver cheap, try that first. Otherwise, replacing the ESC would be the next thing I'd try. Chances are the motor is fine.