Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

New Dad Getting Started - Looking at 1/8 Electric Truggy or Buggy, RTR or KIT

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New Dad Getting Started - Looking at 1/8 Electric Truggy or Buggy, RTR or KIT

Old 03-28-2016, 04:32 PM
TheGemSaloon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dad Getting Started - Looking at 1/8 Electric Truggy or Buggy, RTR or KIT

Hi all,

I've been reading on here for awhile now and the education has been huge. I need your help if you don't mind. I just bought my son a Team Associated RC 8.2e RTR 1/8 Electric Buggy (hasn't arrived yet)...now it's my turn. I was originally sold on a 1/10 Brushless Erevo (really 1/8), however I'm most likely not taking the Traxxas route. I don't say that to start a debate. I still like the Erevo.

I'm interested in 1/8 only, Electric only. I'll primarily bash overall and just have a lot of fun on the street, grass, dirt, parks, jumps, etc - with both my son, brother, nephew. Price isn't as big of a factor, although getting far past $1,000 doesn't interest me as much...not saying it's completely out of the question.

That being said a Truggy interests me slightly more than a Buggy, however almost all higher end Truggy's are Kits. So my first question is whether a novice like me can put together a kit...by following the directions. Outside of the directions, I'm not super handy. I believe I could do it...but what do I know...I don't even own a soldering gun.

If I go Kit, it will definitely be a Truggy. I like what I see from Mugen, T.A., Losi. If I go RTR, I'm thinking of the Losi 8ight E.

I'd love to hear your opinions on the two types of cars I named, Kit vs RTR for a total newbie, and brand preference with a why.

I greatly appreciate your help.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had a peek at the instructions for the Losi and they're pretty detailed. On the left of each step the hardware needed is shown in actual size so it's easy to figure out the exact screw needed. Hardware is usually bagged and labeled for the step it's meant to be used in as well. The hardest part will likely be shimming the ring and pinion gears of the diffs for proper mesh. The directions are a guide and give you a starting point. But you'll need to assemble, test the feel, disassemble and add or subtract shims and repeat until it's right.

As for brand. I own and like Losi, Mugen also has a very good reputation. AE is good, so is Durango, XRay and a few others. They're the racers and are generally built to a higher standard with better quality parts and are well worth the extra cost in my opinion. Aarma isn't a racer but has good reviews. At the other end of the spectrum there's Duratrax, Redcat, the stuff on nitrorcx and the other cheapos with more brittle plastic and slapped together with less than ideal care.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:44 AM
TheGemSaloon

Thanks Maj. By shimming, I'm assuming you mean underneath so the gears are level and match up properly?

Just called Tower Hobbies (where I just purchased my son's T.A. 1/8 Buggy RTR) and the rep said no soldering for a kit. Still deciding if I can tackle it...and complete relatively quickly (days/weeks, not months). If so, a nice Truggy it is....otherwise an RTR buggy. I really want something of quality even though I'm not going to race.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Shims are thin washers they are used to get the correct gap between the ring and pinion gears so they mesh properly. If the mesh is too loose they can skip and wear bad, too tight and they'll feel notchy and chew themselves up. It's not hard, just a little trial and error and probably the most time consuming part besides assembling the shocks. Most people can assemble a kit in a few nights after work, first timer maybe 5 nights after work.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:44 PM
pheare

I know you said you'd want a truggy if you go kit. But I'd definitely take a look a the Losi 8ight 3.0 E buggy. They are being blown out right now because of the 4.0 being released. Can get the 3.0 for $380 - that is a hell of deal for a kit of this quality level. I actually had some similar questions to you just yesterday:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-e...y-bashing.html

First post and most recent post detail what I ended up going with component wise.

Maj_Overdrive was a big help to me as well.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Whatever you get, if you're going to be primarily bashing, get a front and rear bumper set from RPM or T-Bone Racing. After market bumpers will save you money and time. You ARE going to hit something, don't you want something that is actually going to protect the car? Dang straight you are.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:24 AM
TheGemSaloon

Update:
I went with Losi's 1/8 RTR electric buggy for my first. I'll tackle a kit Truggy next. Batteries, Charger ordered...and a front/rear bumper from TBone (thanks EXT2Rob). I appreciate everyone's help, I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions ;-)
Old 04-03-2016, 10:37 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Right on! Good choice. You won't be disappointed. Ask away, man, that's why we're here!