Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

sidewinder in slash 4x4

Old 04-01-2016, 08:48 PM
shadowsndust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sidewinder in slash 4x4

So I just purchased a slash 4x4 roller and I have a few motors layin around I could put in her. I have a 4600 kv castle sidewinder, 5700 kv castle sidewinder, and a 3200kv tacon motor I could install. I keep reading the sidewinders will get to hot under 4x4 stress, I also read that it takes it just fine. Has anyone done something like this recently?
Old 04-01-2016, 09:45 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I suggest going with the lower KV Tacon, just for safety. 4600KV is too high for a 540-can motor. Now, if it were a 550 and 4600-5000KV, then it would have been fine on 2S. But its a 540, sadly.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:13 AM
RustyUs

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Experimentation is a thing of beauty. After you run the Slash with the Tacon, and are happy with the temps...you do have an infrared thermometer. Right? Having a wide range of pinion gears (on the lower end) is always a good thing to have in a pit box when trying to compensate for higher rpm motors. But if thinking about a new motor purchase...like collector said, a 4x4 off-road truck screams for a 550 sized motor to be installed.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:15 AM
shadowsndust

Ah gotcha, yeah I should have gotten the sctt sidewinder kit, but yrah I'm gonna start wrenching today and what I can come up with. What I wad thinking last night id maybe take the vellinion out of my rustler and put it in the new slash 4x4, and put the castle 4600 in the rustler. But hey Hal the fun of this hobby is experiments. Thanks for the replys, ill keep you guys posted