Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

from 20T brushed, what brushless combo should I get?

Old 04-03-2016, 07:01 AM
xlDooM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default from 20T brushed, what brushless combo should I get?

I probably fried the ESC on my ECX amp (it has a whiff of spent electronics about it and I've lost power to the motor). So I'm looking at potential upgrades. I don't have any references as far as speed goes though. Right now I'm running the dynamite 20T on a 2s lipo and it's not slow to my feeling. It probably does something around 20mph. So what would be a good motor to get, which will bump top speed to something closer to 30mph, without being ridiculously (part-breakingly) fast and powerful?

I'm in Belgium so I much prefer hobbyking's EU warehouse for shipping cost reasons. That narrows my choice down to three esc+motor combos:
- Turnigy TrackStar Waterproof 1/10 Brushless Power System 3000KV/80A
- TrackStar ROAR approved 1/10th Stock Class Brushless ESC and Motor Combo (13.5T)
- TrackStar ROAR approved 1/10th Stock Class Brushless ESC and Motor Combo (17.5T)

It's hard to judge from youtube videos but it could well be that the 17.5T stock class is not far off the speeds my Amp does (considering the amp is in fact a stadium truck platform with stadium truck like tires). So I'd probably want to go faster. I drive a lot on grass so I need some torque. The 3000kV/80A combo is not sensored, which is turning me off some, but I don't know how big the low end smoothness problem is with unsensored brushless.

I will also be getting the flysky GT3b radio (it's mad cheap on ebay at the moment, 31 euros shipped), which allows me to dial the throttle end point WAY back if I'm not mistaken, so my kid can still drive it. Is there then any reason not to go for the 13.5T setup? Would the 13.5T with a low throttle EPA be worse than the 17.5T in any way?

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:30 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If those are your choices, I'd go for the 13.5T . It'll be faster. Are you looking to race?

I've got a couple sensorless brushless systems and a sensored brushless 550 Novak in my 4x4 SCT. I don't really notice the difference to tell ya the truth. With sensorelss, it really depends on how good the manufacturer's startup routine is. Castle Creations stuff is excellent. Toro, not so much. HobbyWing stuff is great. I'm not familiar with the Turnigy stuff. But some guys still swear by Sensored systems.

I think you'd like the FlySky GT3C better than the B model. The C model is lighter, thanks to a rechargeable 1S lipo pack that can be charged IN the radio, and it has a MUCH better display. i.e. you can actually read it in the daylight. It's the same price as the B. IF YOU GET THE C MODEL: First thing you should do is do a range test. Find a place where you can run the car out to at least 100 meters with line of sight. If you still have full and instant control of the car out that far, then you've got a good radio, and your golden. I happened to get one that turned out to be a dud. Range flaked at 100 FEET. But my buddy just got one and it's good and I know of others who use it with no issues. Just check it, if it's flakey, send it back for another one.

Oh, and, be safe over there. My heart goes out to Belgium.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 04-03-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:33 PM
xlDooM

I'm not looking to race, there's a club nearby which charges 75 a year to use their outdoor track from spring to autumn which I may check out but they don't host races.

I guess the sensored/unsensored thing is not that important then. The waterproof one is still a bit of an unknown quantity, no idea how fast that is going to be.

The gt3c looks very tempting but it's 15 euros more expensive (some seller is sitting on a huge pile of gt3bs apparently). I'm hoping if I buy the silver one, the power button problem has been fixed. Otherwise I can fix it myself, but I'd rather not, you know. I was going to get a lipo and mod the 3b to accept it, but the 3c is much more economical with power thanks to a lower operating voltage (1s instead of 3s lipo).

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if there's a downside to running the faster (13.5T) motor with a reduced throttle end point instead of running the slower motor full-on? I know nothing about gearing by the way. Probably an extra cost I need to figure out.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:47 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I HAD a silver (Titanium) GT3C. It had the range issue. My buddy got a green one and it's fine. But I get ya. 15 Euro is 15 Euro. My buddy's GT3B lasted him about three years.

The 3000kv will be really torque-y . Not too fast on the top end perhaps. A good racing set up. You might be able to gear up.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:04 AM
RustyUs

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by xlDooM
... So what would be a good motor to get, which will bump top speed to something closer to 30mph, without being ridiculously (part-breakingly) fast and powerful?

I'm in Belgium so I much prefer hobbyking's EU warehouse for shipping cost reasons. That narrows my choice down to three esc+motor combos:
- Turnigy TrackStar Waterproof 1/10 Brushless Power System 3000KV/80A
- TrackStar ROAR approved 1/10th Stock Class Brushless ESC and Motor Combo (13.5T)

- TrackStar ROAR approved 1/10th Stock Class Brushless ESC and Motor Combo (17.5T)...
I think you selected a great group of ESC/motor combos. You probably wouldn't be happy with the 17.5T since you're looking for a bit more speed. That motor (17.5T) would give you about the same speed as the motor you are currently running or were using.

Out of the other two combos...you would achieve roughly the same speeds from either. The deciding factor would have to come from the user wanting something waterproof or not.

I wish I could give a hands on report of Turnigy/TracStar performance, but I can't. I have this thing about red colored/anodized electronics and stuff. Nothing against the brand. I read all the time about how well people like Turnigy's products. Call me weird, but I'm a blue/black/green type of person .
Old 04-05-2016, 06:24 AM
xlDooM

I just noticed that between the two combos Rusty bolded above, the ROAR approved 13.5T has an ESC which is rated at 80A continous and 380A burst, while the waterproof combo is 80A continuous and 95A burst. The waterproof one also has twice the internal resistance. Although I realize these ratings are probably optimistic anyway, it leads me to conclude that the ROAR approved ESC is a better design with more headroom which will probably run cooler.

I also ordered a gt3c off ebay. It's orange. I hope it makes it here, what with the embargo on lithium batteries on passenger planes...