Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Converting volcano s30 nitro to electric

Old 06-25-2016, 04:47 AM
Biggylil45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting volcano s30 nitro to electric

Hey so I wasn't happy with the nitro s30 so I am converting it to electric the motor that was on it is a nitro 3.0cc .18sh what kind of electric motor should I go with for it?
Old 06-26-2016, 12:31 AM
Next edition

Xerun 150a esc and Toro x8st 2000kv look on ebay free shipping ww or at least the esc and find a cheap motor around the 550 sc truck size,120a esc sc truck will be good too but with the 150a you can put almost any motor on it and push it to its max hehe.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

A basic 540 or 550 brushed motor will do the job

but it will cause headaches trying to convert. If you try to use the stock trans, you wont have brakes unless you keep the stock throttle servo and tie it into the channel 2 that the ESC uses.
You might be able to lock the center diff, so that the electric motor can be used for braking...would have to open up and look for the one way mechanism.

After than you have to figure out placement for ESC and battery and make your own motor mount...then experiment to find the right size pinion gear.

Im all for custom builds, I love to wrench on stuff. But it would be cheaper to sell the volcano as a rolling chassis, and then buy a electric version.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:12 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by Next edition View Post
Xerun 150a esc and Toro x8st 2000kv look on ebay free shipping ww or at least the esc and find a cheap motor around the 550 sc truck size,120a esc sc truck will be good too but with the 150a you can put almost any motor on it and push it to its max hehe.
A 1/8 system in a 1/10 truck? Unless you're going to buy stock in Redcat for all the drivetrain parts it's going to chew up and spit out I wouldn't go that big. 540, 550 size with a 80-120amp short course esc is more than enough. Just have a look at what powers the brushless version of the volcano and go a little bigger, not way bigger to 1/8.

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner View Post
If you try to use the stock trans, you wont have brakes unless you keep the stock throttle servo and tie it into the channel 2 that the ESC uses.
You might be able to lock the center diff, so that the electric motor can be used for braking...would have to open up and look for the one way mechanism.
What you state is true for 2spd transmissions, the one way bearing prevents using the motor for braking and you need to keep mechanical brakes. But the Volcano s30 has a single speed transmission that has no reason for a one way bearing. So unless they threw one in there just to increase cost this is a non issue.

All the other stuff you mentioned about making a custom motor mount, battery tray and figuring out where to put everything is true though.