Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Suggestions for my son starting out?

Old 07-11-2016, 01:13 PM
vitamink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for my son starting out?

Hello folks,

So my son just turned 10, and we told him that he could get an R/C vehicle for his birthday. I've been out of R/C for a long time, so I'm seeking some advice regarding the purchase. Here are the parameters that I have:

- He says he's interested in actually racing (someday!). The closest track to us has regular divisions in 2WD Electric Buggy, 4WD Electric Buggy and 4WD SCT and (I think) 2WD SCT. (I'm kind of sorry that Stadium Trucks are losing popularity...that always looked like a fun class, even if they don't look very realistic!)

- Our budget is about $350.00 to get started. I know that won't get him race-ready, but my hope is that we can at least find him something that will give him a good foundation to build and learn on. Ideally, it would be something that (with enough parts) could eventually be upgraded to race readiness.

I was considering going with the RC10b4.2 RTR kit, since it's currently about 250. With the rest of our budget, we could pick up a few Lipo packs and a charger. Would like the boy to have at least two battery packs starting out, so that he can get a little more than 15 minutes of runtime per outing.

At this point, I'm not married to any one solution, so I'm very open to suggestions. Any alternate routes that I might want to investigate?
Old 07-11-2016, 03:22 PM
RustyUs

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to RCU.

One question: Is the track, where you plan to race one day, high bite indoor clay track, or a loamy outdoor loose track, or something in between?

You made the job harder by saying no stadium truck racing . Sad, I know.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:32 PM
vitamink

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
Welcome to RCU.

One question: Is the track, where you plan to race one day, high bite indoor clay track, or a loamy outdoor loose track, or something in between?

You made the job harder by saying no stadium truck racing . Sad, I know.
We haven't visited the track yet (that's the plan for Wednesday afternoon), but the website says it is indoor and clay.

Never understood why the Stadium Trucks fell out of favor. SCTs just don't look as cool, IMO. I'll inquire when I get there if they have any more of them racing, but from the posted scoreboards they have online, I didn't see them as a category.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:42 PM
RustyUs

I really wish I could give you a definite answer. Today's high bite tracks have forced the geometry of platforms into mid-motor this, and mid-motor that. There is not a lot of RTRs out there that are mid-motor straight out of the box. The Associated B4.2 buggy is great in either form (RTR/Kit). I don't want to say a person can't hang, running a rear motor buggy/ST/SCT, in a pack of $$$ latest and greatest mid-motor guys/gals. It's just that there would be a disadvantage right from the get go.

And then you have 4wd side of things. More start up cost, more parts to maintain, but the easiest to drive.

I know things ($$$) can get out of hand real quick when it comes to racing. Piecing together a complete racing package using the lower end gear will set a person back a bit. Just get your kid's feet wet with a RTR and go from there. (Is that my final answer?)

Possibly the track has a novice class, or "run what you brung" class to start out with?
Old 07-11-2016, 07:09 PM
vitamink

I really wish I could give you a definite answer. Today's high bite tracks have forced the geometry of platforms into mid-motor this, and mid-motor that. There is not a lot of RTRs out there that are mid-motor straight out of the box. The Associated B4.2 buggy is great in either form (RTR/Kit). I don't want to say a person can't hang, running a rear motor buggy/ST/SCT, in a pack of $$$ latest and greatest mid-motor guys/gals. It's just that there would be a disadvantage right from the get go.
Hmm, that does pose a bit of a pickle. My gravitation toward the b4.2 was that it might be something that could be (eventually) upgradeable to race readiness. If the motor placement is going to give it a definite disadvantage, then I wonder if my logic here may be flawed.

On the other hand, at least I know I can trust Team Associated build quality, and it should be better equipped to handle the abuse a rookie driver might deal out.

I guess I just wonder if I shouldn't get one of the cheaper RTR models (ECX?) that would never be race-quality, but could serve as a learning vehicle.
And then you have 4wd side of things. More start up cost, more parts to maintain, but the easiest to drive.
Yeah, hadn't seen anything in our price range in the 4WD class that seemed to be really "quality". I guess there is the Traxxas Slash that could make for a reasonable SCT, if properly upgraded? Still pretty spendy in the Brushless package, though.

I know things ($$$) can get out of hand real quick when it comes to racing. Piecing together a complete racing package using the lower end gear will set a person back a bit. Just get your kid's feet wet with a RTR and go from there. (Is that my final answer?)
Thanks, I appreciate the food for thought. Gut feeling is to still go with the b4.2, but will definitely mull things. Will also ask folks at the track what they're running.

Possibly the track has a novice class, or "run what you brung" class to start out with?
Yeah, this is something else I'll ask about, come Wednesday evening. Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2016, 03:12 AM
RustyUs

I hold Associated, Losi, Kyosho on a high pedestal when it comes to 2wd buggy class. I really thought Associated might put out a mid-motor RTR when the B5 came out, but no. It didn't take long for talks of even a newer buggy...RC10B6 (just now released yesterday?). The "4" series had one long run of success, and is why I have a B4.2 kit still NIB. That was gonna be my ticket back into the racing scene once again. But soon after the purchase, everyone was swapping in mid-motor conversion kits...the rest is history.

Rusty, where are you going with this?

My last pitch for someone thinking of getting into racing...buy used. People are gonna be quick to dump their B5M buggies. Check out the hobby shop for driver's race rigs for sale. This will usually mean searching for components to outfit a chassis, but in the end you will have a better RC with more durable parts, and better specs to run.

Choosing components within a budget can be quite the task.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:52 PM
john01374

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first question I would ask is, what beginner classes does the track offer?

Specifically I would ask if they have a beginner short course class. A lot of tracks in my area still have a "stock" short course class. A number of tracks still have a stock Traxxas slash class as well. If by chance your track still offers the Traxxas slash class I would find out the rules and try to take advantage of that.

I got back into racing after number years being away from it simply because a track in my area offered this class. I was able to get back into racing for under $200 complete ready to run. Yes I purchased additional batteries and a better charger but I could've competed for right around $200.

Last edited by john01374; 07-20-2016 at 06:55 PM.