Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Favorite brushless system

Old 08-01-2016, 01:49 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite brushless system

So I've been out of the hobby a few years and am wanting to get back into it. I want to get into a nice 1/8 truggy. Probably Losi but I'm open to others as well. When i got out of the hobby I had a Mugen MBX6T and an 8ight-T 2.0. Both were top of the line at the time. I also ran several others both nitro and brushless, onroad and off road so i know my way around an 1/8 truggy. Seems there have been some advancements in the years I've been out of the hobby. There seems to be quite a few more options for brushless systems available now. Castle was my go-to since it seemed to have the best power. Tekin was great too as the smoothest option available. I even tried some of the Xerun systems and for the money they werent bad. Now though, there are more options and I'm a little over my head trying to sort them all out. So for a high quality rip snorting backyard truggy what are you favorites, and why?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:15 AM
mrbuggy1987

for the money you cant beat a hobbywing QUIC-RUN 150 amp for its reliability and ease of adjustments. for 85 bucks your not gonna find a more debendable esc, and as far as motors, tacons have never failed me, thier 2000kv 4074 in particular cuz there only 55 bucks. Some of thier newest ones like the max 8 rival any other systems ive ever tried. In the past of smokes castle, tekin,and reedy stuff . the only other esc I praise higher than hobbywing are MGM, but they are very pricey.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:48 AM
The Saylors

Hobby wing is a great choice if you don't wanna break the bank. my personal favorite is the mamba monster x with the 2650kv or 2200kv from castle especially in the 1/8th scale rigs. (cant go wrong with either one of the motor sizes, both are awesome). Tekin is great if you are trying to compete and only have interest in sensored motors but be ready to open up that piggy bank lol. To be honest a lot of guys are buying those cheap no name ones off of ebay and running them till they die and they seem to really like them so really you will be fine no matter what you do. Also depending on how long you have been out of the game for a while you should know that warranties exist for hobby stuff now! so if you spend a lot at there is some protection.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:29 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Welcome back, yakfish! Glad to see the addiction never really left you. :P

For backyard playing, I'd go Castle. NEVER go Tekin, their quality has fallen off in the past 2-3 years or so. I've seen 3 ESCs go up in smoke at the track, and every one of them was a Tekin. The Mamba Monster 2 if you're looking for something non-sensored is a good choice.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:31 PM
The Saylors

didnt know tekin was going downhill like that. Good to know!
Old 08-02-2016, 01:39 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by The Saylors View Post
didnt know tekin was going downhill like that. Good to know!
Yup. They may claim to be "racer" quality but really aren't good at all.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:44 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Backa few years ago I blew up my share of both Tekin and Castle systems! Of course over gearing and running the crap out of my stuff might have had somthing to do with it!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:37 AM
The Saylors

Too bad for tekin, their name was kinda synonymous with quality. I have seen castle esc's commit suicide but mostly the sidwinder 1/10th scale one. everything else seems to do pretty well