Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best brushless 4x4 under $350?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 03:16 AM
Nakoah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best brushless 4x4 under $350?!

So ive been looking for a cheap 4x4 brushless setup for a while now and i cant seem to find one and this is what im trying to get out of one. A top speed of at least 50 MPH 1:10-1:12 scale Brushless Able to be fast on road and in grass. Something i can take down to an open field and rip i have a 2s and a 3s lipo with deans connectors and i own a slash and a madgear both are SCt and im looking for something different than that. I would like a monster truck and or a truggy/buggy any replies are appreciated to help me find the car to buy! Also no kits i dont have much time and i couldnt do a kit i can use an ARTR with just the car and a transmitter it just needs to be able to work with a 2s or 3s lipo. Thanks and any submissions are appreciated!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:44 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi nakoah , well anything running through grass will slow down because to the low chassis of 1/10th scale ,you might look into 1/8 scale buggy you can upgrade esc ,motor , and use 2 -2s batteries = 4s battery and right gearing for grass and dirt a truggy weighs more, so there for you need even more power to hit your top speeds ,with a truggy , or you can look for a good used one on line and also the ARTR 70 TO 80 % all ready almost finished , see youtube videos of some of the rc buggies on speed runs and bashing . ok mugey
Old 04-12-2017, 03:41 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that is your price point then Traxxas is out so I would suggest the ECX Ruckus.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:47 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

That's one tall order. I can't wait for others to chime in. My mind is blank for what you want.
Add another $100 and grab yourself something like the Traxxas Stampede.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:30 PM
flyinwalenda

Yes , he is going to have to give some things up or shell out some more money. Like they say, how fast do you want to go, how much money do you have ?
Old 04-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Rowdyray

I tried to post several times. Good luck with that budget.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Rowdyray

Hey, that went through. Let's try again. You're asking a lot. Even a Traxxas 1/16th Summit is out of your budget.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Nakoah

Yeah traxxas is out of the picture for me im looking for smaller brands that arent too well know im completely fine with something with no battery no charger which usually takes off about $40 or more and it will cost me im completely fine with 2wd drive too i found a site where i can get a Mini E Revo for $300 free shipping which is an offer i might take up
Old 04-12-2017, 07:22 PM
flyinwalenda

A 1/16 Revo VXL for $300.00 is what you would pay at most hobby shops or at Tower or Horizon.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Nakoah

Yep its 300 at tower im probably gonna buy it in the next few days
Old 04-13-2017, 03:12 AM
flyinwalenda

Then you will have to scratch "driving fast through the grass" off of your list. Unless you plan on driving around on a golf course putting green.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Nakoah

Yeah i guess thats fine its small low grass like a putting green
Old 04-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Rowdyray

The Revo is a fun little truggy. It's the same as the Summit. Just different body and wheels. They're tough. My 8 yr old grandson has the Summit. He's not nice to it. The cool part is you can run NiMH or Lipo, and two batteries in parallel or in series. A couple of 2200 2S batteries in parallel runs for a very long time. Have not shown him the series yet. My son and I, however, took it out after he went to bed. Crazy. Stupid. Hilarious. Has a wheelie bar on it, but full reverse will flip itself over. Laughed our butts off. We were trying very hard not to break it. That would have been bad, as I had just given to him for his birthday. Lol.

The 1/16 Revo is pretty small. They take a smaller battery. Not sure what Lipos you have. You mentioned 1/10 scale. Have you looked at these?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/ECX0301...FQIRaQodZCMBZg

https://www.horizonhobby.com/ECX0301...FQkaaQodeEwOBg

I'm very impressed with my ECX Circuit so far. And many hobby stores are carrying parts for them. Beat the snot out of it 2 weeks ago with the grandkids and I finally broke a front spindle carrier when it cartwheeled into a post. Lol. Easy fix.

Last edited by Rowdyray; 04-13-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Nakoah

Thanks good reccomendations i have looked at some ECX Trucks before and was interested in the Torment as my second RC but went with a slash which i regret as its slower than my first truck i got which is a smaller brand MADGEAR rc i own 2 SCTs now and decided i wanna go with something more dirt and offroad aggressive and those two trucks look amazing might look into them as i havent bought the 1:16 MERV yet
Old 04-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Nakoah

Originally Posted by Rowdyray
The Revo is a fun little truggy. It's the same as the Summit. Just different body and wheels. They're tough. My 8 yr old grandson has the Summit. He's not nice to it. The cool part is you can run NiMH or Lipo, and two batteries in parallel or in series. A couple of 2200 2S batteries in parallel runs for a very long time. Have not shown him the series yet. My son and I, however, took it out after he went to bed. Crazy. Stupid. Hilarious. Has a wheelie bar on it, but full reverse will flip itself over. Laughed our butts off. We were trying very hard not to break it. That would have been bad, as I had just given to him for his birthday. Lol.

The 1/16 Revo is pretty small. They take a smaller battery. Not sure what Lipos you have. You mentioned 1/10 scale. Have you looked at these?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/ECX0301...FQIRaQodZCMBZg

https://www.horizonhobby.com/ECX0301...FQkaaQodeEwOBg

I'm very impressed with my ECX Circuit so far. And many hobby stores are carrying parts for them. Beat the snot out of it 2 weeks ago with the grandkids and I finally broke a front spindle carrier when it cartwheeled into a post. Lol. Easy fix.
But yeah i heard theyre amazing but have heard the driveshafts break easily but 2WD is completely fine with me until i can replace the driveshaft. But i havent heard much bad about the ECX lineup and might consider it being the next buy considering its 1:10 brushless and waterproofed.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:41 PM
bronx boy

Try a hobao 10 tt 309 at tower hobby may not get to 50 but a tough little sucker 309 is ready to run
Old 05-16-2017, 05:29 AM
Stratos274

RedCat Volcano EPX Pro.... Good Truck and plenty fast !! The only thing I can tell you to do is when you purchase it go ahead and buy aluminum hub/carrier kit foe like $20. and Loctite all those screw and you will be good to go.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:33 AM
The Saylors

If you were looking to get outside of the normal brands you could give the team energy lineup a go but i hear that the reliability leaves something to be desired on most of their models. Some of them are pretty sharp looking though and if you don't play that often they could be up your alley. Like others have said if you were willing to throw another $100+ at it then you can get something pretty fun. My TA 1/8th buggy was at the $500 mark and its the best money i ever spent!
Old 05-21-2017, 09:53 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Try a hobao 10 tt 309 at tower hobby may not get to 50 but a tough little sucker 309 is ready to run
+1

The 80% version is only 219 less any coupons you might dig up. Then you can put in your desired electrics in

Last edited by kistner; 05-21-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:57 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bronx boy
I'll second that nomination! I have a Hyper TT, and its big brother the Hyper SC short course truck. LOVE them! (It's cool having two completely different vehicles that share most of their parts. Easier/cheaper to maintain.) You get a lot of truck with the 1:12 scale Hyper TT. The small-ish brushless motor in the RTR is exactly what I ran in mine until I upgraded it to a Castle Sidewinder. It's a surprisingly fast and powerful little motor! You'd be happy with it. Putting a full-size 540 motor in it gave me more torque, and the 5700kv is certainly fast, over 40MPH. It's a great deal. BUT, I highly recommend getting a set of T-Bone Racing bumpers front and rear. Stock bumpers are useless and do nothing to protect the car. Otherwise, it's a solid machine, you'd like it. Tougher than a mini-e-revo, too.

Get yerself an infra-red thermometer to monitor motor temps. Brushless motors shouldn't get over 180F. It should run between 120-150F. When going from 2S to 3S lipo, it's common to gear the pinion down a tooth. So you'd want to order an 11T pinion too.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 05-25-2017 at 10:59 AM.