Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I Finally Pulled the Trigger!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:28 PM
MongoPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I Finally Pulled the Trigger!

After much exciting research, I have finally ordered my RC vehicles and equipment to get back into this hobby. Here's what I got:

From Amazon - 1/10 Traxxas Slash 2WD Mark Jenkins brushed NiMh

From Horizon Hobby - 1/10 ECX Ruckus 2WD LiPo, Kinexsis KX 80 LiPo/NiMh charger and a Venom 4000mAh Lipo battery with a UNI plug

And now, I wait...

Thanks to RustyUS for taking the time to reply during the 'painful' decision process.

I'd LOVE to hear from anyone, especially experienced hobbyists, about what I'm getting and what I might like to do with em.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers mate, glad you're stoked about the new trucks. My two cents is, get some aftermarket bumpers from RPM or T-Bone Racing. Stock bumpers are mostly cosmetic and do little to protect the truck. They'll save you a lot in broken parts. Trust me. After that, see what breaks and replace it with an upgrade part from RPM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:06 AM
The Saylors

i would get caster blocks and a-arms while you're at rpm. The stock ones on the slashes are poopy but the rpm ones are super tough to break while being very inexpensive! With the brushed motor you won't be hitting the 60 mph mark so that should save you some money on repairs but i would still plan on some breaks here and there. Happy RC-ing!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:09 AM
MongoPete

Thanks guys,

In a strange twist of fate, the order from Horizon Hobby could not be processed due to overseas shipping complications. SO...the 2WD Slash I ordered for my son will arrive AND, that leaves me back on the hunt for my own RC and a good charger. I was a bit annoyed about all this, but then again, maybe it will work out for the best.

Do I get a Stampede instead of the Ruckus, so we'll both run Traxxas platforms? Here I go again...
Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say that having only one brand of vehicle to wrench on is helpful as far as parts inventory. They use a lot of the same parts, so you don't have to keep as many different parts on hand. Ergo, cheaper to maintain.

If you're going to want to run with your son, you might want to consider getting a dual battery charger like the Ultra Power 120AC Duo. Look for it on Amazon. High power, small form factor, and charges two Lipos at once. Each charge port can deliver 10 Amps. That's more than most single chargers. Love mine.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:50 AM
MongoPete

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your input. I have decided to hold off for a bit on the 2nd vehicle. I am all but sold on a 2wd Stampede, but there is no rush, and I'm sure my boy will be happy to share his Slash with daddy ;-)

I did order a Venom Pro Duo 80W 2-channel charger, so the Slash will have the stock 3000mAh Nimh as well as a Venom 2s 4000mAh I ordered,, and will be able to charge simultaneously.

So, just the Slash for now, and the hunt for my monster truck rolls on...

Cheers from Mongolia