Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Off Road RC suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:05 AM
TexasDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Road RC suggestions

I am back in the market for an Off-Road 1/8th or 1/10 Brushless truck/truggy/buggy.
It will be used mainly just on some weekends for light bashing over pavement, dirt, gravel, and some grass. I don't want to be dealing with constantly upgrading or replacing parts.

So my main concerned is durability of all parts
Doesn't need to be superfast, maybe around 45mph.
Big Wheels is a plus.
Budget is around $300-$400 (without batteries/charger)

All suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 AM
The Saylors

Welcome to the forum! Tbh what i would do is save up till you can get to the $500 mark especially if you are interested in 1/8th. There are a couple 1/8th buggies out there for that price mark that come very tough out of the box. I run the Team Associated 8.2e and i love it, easily my favorite rc and it needs nothing to be tough as can be. The only part i have ever replaced was a shock shaft and that was due to me running into a wooden stair case after botching a jump (and it was a very hard hit, the whole track fell silent when it happened so you know it was a good one, i was shocked when the shaft was the only damaged part). You can spend around $350 on a short course truck but it will need another hundred in upgrades to be truly bullet proof. Keep in mind that grass is really hard on rc vehicles due to the huge drag it puts on the motor and esc, heat will be your biggest enemy (get an IR thermometer, they are around $16). If you will do tons of grass i would recommend a monster truck to get the ground clearance under control but i honestly find MTs to be a little boring as well as very tippy. Hope this helps!

Alex
Old 08-15-2017, 04:01 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasDriver
I am back in the market for an Off-Road 1/8th or 1/10 Brushless truck/truggy/buggy.
It will be used mainly just on some weekends for light bashing over pavement, dirt, gravel, and some grass. I don't want to be dealing with constantly upgrading or replacing parts.

So my main concerned is durability of all parts
Doesn't need to be superfast, maybe around 45mph.
Big Wheels is a plus.
Budget is around $300-$400 (without batteries/charger)

All suggestions are much appreciated.
Good grief. Off-roading at 45mph is superfast...to me anyway . How big of wheels are we thinking? 2wd/4wd? Either way, the "not superfast" 45mph speed you are thinking about running RC platforms at... that screams something using 3S, or 4S LiPo packs, and will be needing electronics to handle that power.

The Saylors is on to something by suggesting 1/8 scale platform. Don't forget about using coupon codes at the big online hobby shops. $50 off a $499 order at Tower Hobbies...just saying .

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-15-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:20 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to RCU!

What part of Texas are you from?

I live in Austin, and there are many tracks all over the state. Have you considered visiting a local track in your area?

For your budget I would consider buying a used 1/8 buggy or 1/10 SCT... preferably Tekno if you want something that is the most durable product and will stand the test of time. More info on my thoughts of buying used here:
RTR vs Kit vs Pre-Owned, which is best? - Which Style of RC for me? @ URC Forums
Old 08-16-2017, 05:45 AM
TexasDriver

I am located in San Antonio.

I have seen a track down here, just don't have time these days to visit and get to it as constant hobby yet.

I am leaning for a 1/8 scale, and a Truggy but cant go past $500. Seems like the RC8T3e or perhaps that Arrma Talion/Kraton but not certain on durability on these.

Any others that can compete with these?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:09 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

As luck will have it, I've got an RC8T3e that I'm selling here and it's loaded with upgrades and spares:
RC8T3E + Clear Body + Spares - RCFiles Forums

No doubt you can still stay under budget, and I'm open to installing any electronics and painting the body any color(s) of your choice to help get you setup for a RTR solution (if you cover the expenses for the extras). I can meet you down at RCHQ next Wed night if interested, that's when they do weekly racing and I'll make a special trip out of it for you.

For general bashing around, any 1/8 truggy will do perfectly fine to meet your needs.