Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Speeding a Tamiya Buggy for an adult....

Old 10-03-2017, 05:22 AM
Fiend_UK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding a Tamiya Buggy for an adult....

I recently got a Tamiya Dual Ridge as my first kit build. Build went well, buggy drives and handles well, but was very slow with stock brushed motor. I replaced this with a Hobbywing Quicrun 13.5T 2800kv sensored brushless motor (a friend's recommendation), switched the ESC to brushless fine and it all worked well, except it's STILL very slow. Brushed = 30kph, brushless = 32 kph (both on 2S Lipo btw).

This does not seem right to me, in my limited experience of brushless (my HPI Savage XS is running a 4000kv brushless motor, downgeared twice in the gearbox and hits 60kph, and my Losi Micro Truggy gained 50% speed when converted to brushless).

I've double-checked the ESC and motor, I don't get any error lights. The motor itself seems pretty slow on it's own, i.e. it doesn't have the usual brushless turbo-whine.

(This is still the stock 17:70 gearing, people have recommended gearing up to 20:70 but firstly that wouldn't be much of an increase and secondly I expect a major speed increase from brushless not gearing.)

Help??
Old 10-03-2017, 06:01 PM
bill_delong

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, a 13.5T should be a pinch faster... did you calibrate the ESC to your radio?
Also curious if it goes faster in reverse? HobbyWing typically requires you to reverse the throttle on the Tx before calibration.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:27 PM
RustyUs

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

That ^^^^ has to be it. I had 2 out of 3, exactly the same, RTR truggies come out of the box like what bill delong described. Very frustrating at first.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Fiend_UK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for the reply. Yeah i calibrated the ESC to my TX, and re-did it after my dissatisfaction with the performance. It's set-up right for forward/reverse, the ESC manual recommended setting it for reverse so I did it that way.