Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya Hornet questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:19 PM
malos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Hornet questions.

Hi All,

I bought a Tamiya hornet xb for my son last xmas.

We have been through 1 set of tires on the rear and well.

I think they suck they go bald in minutes.

Where we drive is sandy and the car just slip about if you full throttle it. I.e. donuts

I upgraded the stock motor to the sport tuned one. Wasn`t much faster but seems to not make a dent on battery. so was happy for that since the motor is cheap.

So i want to upgrade the front and back wheels. I bought the 12mm hex adapter for about $5. But cannot understand the tires etc.

Can some one suggest a good wheel/rim combo.

doesn`t need to look cool just do the job of holding a tire and the tire works well and last a decent time on sandy dirt areas.

Am i right in assuming any wheel will fit front without adapter? I only need for back right?

Also My son was driving and hit some uneven asphalt the car did a massive jump up and flew about 3m landed and broke the under plastic Triangle shape that holds the wheels on and bent the metal to the servo.

I replaced the under plastic part. But am unsure on the servo part which turns the front tires. For now i bent it mostly back into shape but the servo plastic part holding to metal is cracked and i fear another bump will break it and/or bend the metal again.

Is there a part I can buy to replace those or do i just need to buy a new servo?

Thanks for any help
Old 10-07-2017, 08:59 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by malos
...So i want to upgrade the front and back wheels. I bought the 12mm hex adapter for about $5. But cannot understand the tires etc.

Can some one suggest a good wheel/rim combo.

doesn`t need to look cool just do the job of holding a tire and the tire works well and last a decent time on sandy dirt areas.

Am i right in assuming any wheel will fit front without adapter? I only need for back right?...
Depending on the adapter, most 12mm hex wheels will work. All kinds of hex thicknesses as well as axle diameter that is needed for adapter to fit. You have to take note of the size of wheel you get in order to match up tires. If you are looking for a long lasting off-road tread...the choices are slim.

The Hornet's front wheels use bearings last time I looked. If you want to change wheels, you will need wheels that use bearings of the same size, or use adapter.

I'd check out the Rising Fighter's setup for ideas.

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-07-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:20 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by malos
...Also My son was driving and hit some uneven asphalt the car did a massive jump up and flew about 3m landed and broke the under plastic Triangle shape that holds the wheels on and bent the metal to the servo.

I replaced the under plastic part. But am unsure on the servo part which turns the front tires. For now i bent it mostly back into shape but the servo plastic part holding to metal is cracked and i fear another bump will break it and/or bend the metal again.

Is there a part I can buy to replace those or do i just need to buy a new servo?

Thanks for any help
I'm assuming the plastic part, that you are talking about, is the servo saver?
Old 10-07-2017, 01:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could always just get the grasshopper tires for the hornet they are ribbed, and last better on concrete, and work somewhat on sand. They also fit on the stock rims.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Sweetmercy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Proline have a big range of tyres and wheels to fit 12mm hex, on road and off, also sand tyres etc. The bonus is they aren't too expensive! Hope that helps