Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Too Much Understeer

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:39 AM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too Much Understeer

I finally got around to testing my new B5M on a tennis court (concrete). I just wanted to make sure everything turns in the right direction before taking it to the track. Here in Vegas (I know) we have both indoor carpet and outdoor dirt. On the concrete, the darn thing plows like a John Deere tractor on exit with the power on. Can anyone give me some pointers? I can't, for the life of me remember which tires I mounted, but I think they're J Concepts recommended for high bite, such as carpet. She turns in pretty well with the power off but I can't put the power down coming out of a turn. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2017, 04:54 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd start by limiting the front end droop, after I had the best tires for the conditions. I'd opt for the 30° kick up as well. Find a setup sheet that closely resembles your track's conditions, and see what possible changes you might try...one adjustment at a time. Setup guilds (Hudy & Tekno) are out there to show cause/effect of adjustments.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:20 AM
born2build

Thanks, Rusty. I know Associated posts their set-up sheets as well. This is going to take some time. I'll keep your post in my in box for future reference.
On a more positive note, Both the buggy and the pan car ran great! The pan car is almost silent, which I like. It means I nailed the gear mesh. I still want to tinker with ratios, though. There are so many ways to adjust these things, one could quite easily get them all out of whack. One adjustment at a time, like you said. To compound matters even further, I also am quite passionate about building and flying R/C planes. Got one on the bench right now. So, I guess I'll be a busy guy for quite a while. Years, in fact. I have to be careful not to get overwhelmed by all of this very cool stuff. Stay tuned! And thanks again!
Old 10-15-2017, 11:09 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Lots of "stuff" to try. A combination of moving the rear hubs back with more front end roll might be the right combo to get more traction up front. Some good stuff to download and read...XRAY: The art of performance - Products - Download
HUDY - Off-Road Set-Up Book - Instruction - teamxray.com
Vehicle Set Up Guide - Tekno RC, LLC. - Excellence in RC Design
Technical Review - PETITRC - RC Car website

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-15-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:31 PM
born2build

Yeah, lots of stuff to try, indeed! I'll get it eventually. For me, patience is an acquired skill. But, I'm learning.Thanks for the links. I'll keep those in my in box as well. Cheers, mate!