Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Motor/ESC

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:30 AM
Lucoferon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor/ESC

So I'm stop new to all this and have a pretty basic question. I upgraded my spur and pinion gear to 64t & 29t respectively. The motor and ESC definitely get hot and shuts down after only a short while. So my question is if I'm able to keep them cool enough will it still damage the motor or ESC? I found an old heatsink and fan from a PC build and through that on. Do you think that should keep them cool? I think so but what do I know. Can't post a pic yet but I think it will so the job.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:51 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Your RC is probably way overgeared.

What RC?

Having a infrared thermometer will be your best friend when you start messing with gearing and different motors. Keep your brushless motors below 180°F, and to be on the safe side I always strive for 160°F when I bring my RC off the track, or done bashing.

You can put whatever heatsink/fan you want on the motor, and ESC. I think it will be a band aid and not do a whole heck of a lot in making a huge difference in temps if you are pushing your gear too hard.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:33 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Luco, welcome!
Yeah, you're way over geared. I'd drop the pinion tooth count to 21 and go from there. The ESC should stay below 125F and, properly geared, the motor should run between 125-140 depending on the ambient temperature.