Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Steering input interferes with throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Rusty Creek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering input interferes with throttle.

For my first rc crawler I have put together a Gmade Sawback. I used an HPI rf-40wp receiver, a Tritronic ESC-1060WP, and a 35t RC4WD brushed motor, and run a 7.2V 2000 mAh nimh. When I first put it together it ran perfectly. On my second outside run steering input began to interfere with throttle input, and occasionally it would just run away. Thinking it was the radio, I bought a second receiver, but the problem was still there. I then bought an Axial AE-5 ESC, and I still have the problem. Both radio receivers work in the drift car the original radio came with. What could be causing this problem?
Old 04-26-2018, 05:31 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like you need a Glitch Buster. They get rid of brown-outs, which it sounds like is happening to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Racers-Edge-G.../dp/B0077R5I4M

or if you like soldering

How to Make Your Own Rc Car Recever Glitch Buster for $1
Old 04-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Rusty Creek

Looked around a little bit, I don't think this will help. I don't lose power, I lose throttle control. Like I mentioned above, while off the ground the truck would just run away for a few seconds.

Last edited by Rusty Creek; 04-26-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:05 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

With fresh transmitter batteries, I'd re-bind transmitter/receiver, then calibrate throttle settings again. If you still have throttle issues when you are steering, and it's doing the same thing with two different receivers, then my guess it's the transmitter with the issue.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:52 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Are you using brand new electronics or old recycled electronics from another car?

I have seen problems like this happen with poor wiring connections... this can be difficult to trace, but all servo connectors will lose their effectiveness over time and eventually need to be replaced... sometimes you can use a small screwdriver or pin to smash the spring back on each of the 3 pin slots to get more bite, but eventually every connector goes out. I have also seen cases where the wiring was too tight with the connectors into the Rx and/or a loose Rx allowing the wires to bind and pull causing "static/interference"... you want to make sure everything is secure and no possibility for any movement against the connectors while in use... you want to have just a little slack on the wiring, but not so much slack that the wiring pulls on the connectors and shifts while in use.

If any of the electronics ever got wet, then I would replace them... could be a bad servo, bad esc or bad Rx

Last edited by bill_delong; 04-27-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Rusty Creek

Everything but the radio was bought new for the car, and the receiver is less than a year old.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:32 PM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What servo are you using? The Tritronic esc has a Bec of only 5v. Is your failsafe set on the receiver? If your failsafe is set to neutral you should not have a runaway rc even with loss of signal. Can you try a different servo? You say the TX/RX is receiver is good then the problem lies with another component use a process of elimination to isolate the problem.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 04-27-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:19 PM
Rusty Creek

I had a Savox SW-0231mg servo. I had time to test it today, turns out it is the servo. It's not something I would have thought would have caused that problem.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:49 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Savox servos are power hogs. You have to have a really strong BEC to handle some of them. Get a Hitec.