Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Sensored Vs Sensorless Motor Temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:38 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Question Sensored Vs Sensorless Motor Temps

I've just got a sensored cable in the mail yesterday. Installed it, and went to the track. At the end of the run, the motor (sensored) temp was pushing 180*F on an 80*F evening. That same motor had temp of 164*F on a 90*F day when it was ran sensorless a couple of days ago. Tonight, I took off the sensor cable, and I ran the motor sensorless... just pushed the 160*F mark with outside temp at 81*F .

Is it normal for the same same sensored motor to have temperature variances when it is ran sensored vs sensorless? I don't remember reading about any such fluctuations.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:01 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh! No replies to this. I've been curious about this from Rusty's description.
Just guessing man, would it be the sensor inside the motor becoming active when plugging in the sensor cable? The motor working harder to make all the adjustments as directed by the ESC? Interesting question.

​​​​​​
Old 08-12-2018, 09:39 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I wish I had a good deal more of so-called "good" speed controls, and sensored motors to test motor temps when ran sensored vs. sensorless. I just can't see me spending more than $20, or $30 for a motor that's just used for bashing at the moment.

I looked at a lot of threads about motor temps and saw no mention of motors being hotter just because they were being ran sensored.

I like the fact that Castle Creations has ESCs that use SmartSense. ... "uses the motor sensors to start the motor and then it switches over to Castle’s ultra- powerful and efficient dynamic sensorless mode which boosts motor efficiency, so your motor produces more power and less heat." I stopped following every new product that comes out. Is there other manufacturers that have speed controls with automatic sensored~sensorless switching?