Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Ecx torment gearing setup for bashing help...

Old 10-28-2018, 06:15 PM
PeeBeMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecx torment gearing setup for bashing help...

Hey Rc world. My ecx torment has a Reedy 3500kv motor with 18/54 gear setup. My question is: what's the best gear setup for top end bashing, that you would run with ? Grass/ dirt road areas within urban area's

Traxxas Slash and Ecx torment ON 2.8s
Old 10-29-2018, 09:40 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Short answer from me...I'd be running something like 14/56 to start with, and that's with a lot of running in grass. But you want top end speed I take it? I don't know what gears you have, but it's always nice to have a range of gears when in a situation like this. Run what you got, and check motor temp every couple of minutes.

Sounds like you have switched over to 32P gears, and are overgeared from a stock brushless ECX Torment standpoint. The way I see it, you basically went from 24/87 (stock 48P gears) gearing to 28/82 (equals 18/54 32P gears). By slapping on some larger rubber, I can see heat being an issue with your current gearing. Bigger tires, terrain, driving style, and how long you put your SC through punishment...they will all affect what gearing is best. Just putting on larger tires I'd tell you to drop down two teeth from the stock gearing. Again, all depends on size of tires. If new/installed motor has more RPM than stock motor I'd suggest dropping down another tooth or two. How long the motor can is, how many poles, the quality of the motor...all factors on what gearing will be best. To find the "sweet spot" , I'd look at getting an infrared thermometer: Best Tool to test temp of electrical motor?
Old 10-29-2018, 01:47 PM
PeeBeMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Short answer from me...I'd be running something like 14/56 to start with, and that's with a lot of running in grass. But you want top end speed I take it? I don't know what gears you have, but it's always nice to have a range of gears when in a situation like this. Run what you got, and check motor temp every couple of minutes.

Sounds like you have switched over to 32P gears, and are overgeared from a stock brushless ECX Torment standpoint. The way I see it, you basically went from 24/87 (stock 48P gears) gearing to 28/82 (equals 18/54 32P gears). By slapping on some larger rubber, I can see heat being an issue with your current gearing. Bigger tires, terrain, driving style, and how long you put your SC through punishment...they will all affect what gearing is best. Just putting on larger tires I'd tell you to drop down two teeth from the stock gearing. Again, all depends on size of tires. If new/installed motor has more RPM than stock motor I'd suggest dropping down another tooth or two. How long the motor can is, how many poles, the quality of the motor...all factors on what gearing will be best. To find the "sweet spot" , I'd look at getting an infrared thermometer: Best Tool to test temp of electrical motor?
thanks 4 the help... My tires are 118mm .