Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Fried ESC In Arrma Voltage

Old 01-04-2019, 10:55 AM
RC_N3RD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried ESC In Arrma Voltage

Yesterday I got my new Arrma Fazon Voltage, and was racing my Dad's Rustler xl-5 on flat pavement when the truck suddenly took off with the esc going up in smoke. I've contacted Arrma to get a warranty replacement, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this with their Voltage escs? It was literally the second run, and flat road is about as easy as you can drive these RCs. Also, if anyone knows the specs, I'm curious what those are. Can't find the esc amperage.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:19 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ARRMA MEGA SRS 3-IN-1 unit...https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR390236
Old 01-04-2019, 07:45 PM
RC_N3RD

Ah, thanks! Man that esc is only 40 amps. Doesn't seem like much, even for a low powered brushed system. Be nice if it was like 60 amps.Anyway, Arrma got back to me, sent them the requested information so hopefully soon they will send the new electronics.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:23 AM
RustyUs

I've used, and still using, a 35A Hobbywing EZRun speed control in my one stadium truck. It came paired with a 4300kv F540 brushless motor. I was very sceptical of the combo lasting any great length of time. That was back in 2010. The motor has since past, but the ESC lives on. That little Hobbywing speed control started my love affair for the brand. Whenever I want a reliable ESC, that's where I look first. I believe some brands are more robust than others, but I go with general spec recommendations for ESCs and motors.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:37 AM
RC_N3RD

Interesting. I've always thought of 60A as a minimum, at least for 1/10th scale RCs. Hobbywing is a good esc brand though.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:03 PM
RustyUs

That Hobbywing EZRun combo, back then, was the lowest price combo around. Now there is a whole slew of low budget no-name, HW wannabe electronics to choose from, but quality assurance is just down right iffy.

Minimum specs of electronics needed for RCs all depends on many factors like motor and weight of the RC platform. But yes, a 60A ESC is a great minimum spec for most 1/10 2wd RCs.

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-05-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:10 PM
RC_N3RD

For brushed setups I've used the HobbyWing Quicrun 60a esc. It's about $18 and well worth it. Worked great in my Rustler before I made that brushless, and now over a year later it is performing great in the Arrma while I wait for my replacement. How much was the 35a esc? Seems under $20 is already pretty dang cheap and I wouldn't think it's worth sacrificing reliability or the amperage to save a few bucks.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:09 PM
RustyUs

The EZRun 35A ESC has been discontinued for awhile now. It's bigger brother, EZRun 60A-SL, is about $44.

I've had semi good performance, and durability from some low budget copycat-wannabe 60A-SL ESCs. They can be hit or miss at times, That's the chance you take for basically buying into a no-name $21 ESC. The 60A-SL speed controls used to show up for auction on eBay everyday. I'd bid on dozens of them over time, and I'd eventually win one here and there with a low bid. That's how I got started with bottom shelf electronic RC gear. Since the 60A-SL ESCs worked with my existing Hobbywing Programming Card...bonus!

Would I recommend the ESC I linked in this post? Yes, if a person has multiple RCs to keep them occupied, and they like to gamble a bit.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:39 PM
RC_N3RD

That knockoff looks just like the esc in my Bandit. Come to think of it, I'm actually using the HobbyWing EzRun 60A-SL in my Bandit right now. Been super happy with it. I like that it has the plug for the switch and esc cable. I always have trouble securing my escs so when I'm bashing they come unstuck and sometimes the switch wires or esc wires break before I realize what happened. If it breaks too close to the casing on a waterproof esc, it's over. At least with the EzRun it can pull the plug instead of ripping wires. Actually has saved me a couple of times. By the way, if you know any way of securing off-brand escs without hardware, please let me know!
Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 AM
RC_N3RD

Well, now that it's a weekday Arrma was finally able to send me confirmation. New esc and servo should be here shortly. At least they fixed the problem without any trouble.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:24 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by RC_N3RD
That knockoff looks just like the esc in my Bandit. Come to think of it, I'm actually using the HobbyWing EzRun 60A-SL in my Bandit right now. Been super happy with it. I like that it has the plug for the switch and esc cable. I always have trouble securing my escs so when I'm bashing they come unstuck and sometimes the switch wires or esc wires break before I realize what happened. If it breaks too close to the casing on a waterproof esc, it's over. At least with the EzRun it can pull the plug instead of ripping wires. Actually has saved me a couple of times. By the way, if you know any way of securing off-brand escs without hardware, please let me know!
I have been using Gorilla Tough & Clear Double Sided Mounting Tape for about two years now. Good stuff. Sometimes I'll use E6000 for mounting switches, capacitors, and ESCs.
Originally Posted by RC_N3RD
Well, now that it's a weekday Arrma was finally able to send me confirmation. New esc and servo should be here shortly. At least they fixed the problem without any trouble.
Glad they stepped up to the plate.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM
RC_N3RD

Think I tried the Gorilla tape and it still came undone. Think I should try the E6000? Looks like it's more of an adhesive than an actual tape.