Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help me pick my first RC car/truck!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 08:09 PM
Hoyle33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick my first RC car/truck!

I never thought I’d get into RC cars/trucks/etc, yet here I am. My brother bought a couple RC cars and brought them over today and we had a great time. It was fun running his Traxxas Slash Ultimate Edition Brushless Truck up and down the road but we also had a great time making jumps with the snow banks and launching it through the air

I’d like to have an electric, but’s that’s about all I’ve figured out yet. I will probably be very casual in the hobby for now but I am willing to spend some money to get something nice. I will do a kit or RTR, doesn’t matter to me. I’m not rushing to get into the hobby so I can build if I have assistance since this would be my first time.

I’d like to have a car/truck that would be able to handle dirt well, but I’m sure most of my driving will be on the road. Budget would be about $500 for car/truck, batteries, charger, any needed upgrades, and the rest of it. I may go over budget but I feel like $500 would be enough for a good starter.

This will be a fun rig, no competitions in sight. Thanks!

Last edited by Hoyle33; 02-03-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:29 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Without knowing what catches your eye, I'd look at Armma for a great RC. Go with one of the 1/8 scale 6S platforms if you can. In general, they are considered to have great durability, and toughness.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:42 AM
Hoyle33

After doing some reading online and watching some videos, I like these three:

Traxxas Slash Ultimate - 1/10 scale
Team Associated Nomad DB8 - 1/8 scale
Arrma Senton 6S BLX - 1/10 scale

Pros/cons of each?

Last edited by Hoyle33; 02-04-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:39 AM
Next sequel

Me personally I buy second hand rollers and replace the elecs with hobbywing or Toro stuff Im currently bashing a tamiya db01 with a quicrun 120a esc and castle creations 5700kv motor on 3s lipos easily speeds to over 60mph so it depends on what you want really I've had 6s 1/8 trucks hpi and thunder tiger but honestly wouldn't bother anymore because they're kind of a lumbering brute and the cost of batteries is kind of ridiculous considering the 1/10 scale is more lighter nimble and you can still custom mod them for 6s lipo gear as well imo.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:48 PM
tak555

i run a lightly modified stampede 4x4 vxl on 2s... plus i play around with some 'vintage' rc10/rc10t's that i've converted to brushless. honestly, i mainly just bash...

anyhow, unless you plan to hit the track most of the time, i'd recommend a basher... i got back into the hobby back in 2011, and the pede 4x4 was a great choice for me. ample aftermarket stuff, quick, somewhat durable... but if i were looking today, and had a budget of $500, i'd probably go with an arrma granite 4x4 blx, or even a traxxas rustler 4x4 vxl. my friend got a shortcourse truck (traxxas slash) at the same time i got my 'pede, and we just found that unless you're at the track, the slash was just a little boring (just my own opinion)...

Last edited by tak555; 02-11-2019 at 02:50 PM.