Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ECX Torment Questions.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:28 PM
NitroJunkie269

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECX Torment Questions.

i have a ecx torment , and i was wondering what is a good brushless motor to go with , i don't want to spend a ton of money as i have an older rustler i am going to make brushless aswell , i know for the ecx i will have to put the steel gears in it to run a brushless set up , i have a vxl rustler , a vxl stampede and also a 3s brushless arrma big rock , so was just wondering what are some cheaper brushless set ups? i have been looking into the dynamite 2 n 1 set up.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:11 AM
RustyUs

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming you are talking about the 2wd Torment. If you are/were happy with the stock brushless motor (Tazer 3300kv?), and wanted a bit more "umph", I'd throw in one of the cheap eBay specials. Something like a 3800kv motor ...https://www.ebay.com/itm/3652-3421KV...53.m1438.l2649

I really haven't had major problems with any of my low budget motors other than the bearings are super junk. The bearings almost always seem to give out in a very short period of time. That's how it ends up for me anyways. A couple of dollars for new bearings, and I usually have little to no issues afterwards.

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-21-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: wording
Old 10-21-2019, 07:47 AM
RustyUs

After re-reading your post, I seen the 2-in-1 mentioned. If you are wanting something with a very good reputation and quality, and need an ESC to go along with a brushless motor, I'd suggest a Hobbywing combo. For a lighter weight 2wd SCT, possibly something like a Hobbywing EZRun Max10 3300kv combo should be looked at.

I can't help but think about what would I do if one of those brushless motors, with the ESC inside of it, would all of the sudden...quit on me. I'd much sooner have separate components. Leave the 2-in-1/3-in-1 stuff for small on-road RCs. It's a great idea, but for off-road hobby grade 1/10 scale platforms...give me seperate pieces of gear that I can change out when the time comes.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:20 PM
tlo1360

Default no disrespect

[/QUOTE] can't help but think about what would I do if one of those brushless motors, with the ESC inside of it, would all of the sudden...quit on me. I'd much sooner have separate components. Leave the 2-in-1/3-in-1 stuff for small on-road RCs. It's a great idea, but for off-road hobby grade 1/10 scale platforms...give me seperate pieces of gear that I can change out when the time comes.[/QUOTE]

I do not mean any disrespect towards RustyUs in any way or manner, I am only posting about the information that I recently got from LHS,and other hobbyist. With these combo style motors you can actually get cheaper version than that and fit them into the 2WD Ruckus/Torment Truck. I only know this because I have the 2WD Ruckus, which is the counter-truck to the Torment model. I have found that you can purchase one of these combo style motor/ESC and later switch either component for a different make/model of either device that goes out. I do however recommend getting one that comes with it's own programmer due to a lot of reviewers complaining about getting their ESC w/o the programmer.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:35 PM
RustyUs

No doubt about it. A person can get some good gear these days, and at great prices. All depends on what features a person wants. Those ultra low budget rock bottom priced speed controls can be hit, or miss at times. Just for poops and laughs, I used to buy the cheapest ESCs/motors I could find on eBay, because I was trying to keep many RCs operational for times when friends and family came over. In general, the quality just isn't there with the super low budget speed controls. I was replacing them more often with more cheap stuff. Cheap brushless motors for bashing....count me in. I don't have too many issues with brushless motors. I just keep plenty of bearings on hand to replace original motor bearings that seem to crap out in no time at all. Yeah, a person can find some gems out there. These days I tend to lean towards something with a warranty.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:12 AM
tlo1360

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
No doubt about it. A person can get some good gear these days, and at great prices. All depends on what features a person wants. Those ultra low budget rock bottom priced speed controls can be hit, or miss at times. Just for poops and laughs, I used to buy the cheapest ESCs/motors I could find on eBay, because I was trying to keep many RCs operational for times when friends and family came over. In general, the quality just isn't there with the super low budget speed controls. I was replacing them more often with more cheap stuff. Cheap brushless motors for bashing....count me in. I don't have too many issues with brushless motors. I just keep plenty of bearings on hand to replace original motor bearings that seem to crap out in no time at all. Yeah, a person can find some gems out there. These days I tend to lean towards something with a warranty.
I genuinely agree with that I would much rather have a warranty hence why I have or am in progress of purchasing multiple RPM parts. They offer a very good replacement program for bashing on parts. As for the motor/ESC combos I am currently looking at the same thing that the thread starter was asking about I am yet to be able to post links on this site( I prefer the ECX forum for most things) mainly due to my only truck at this point is the 1/10 Ruckus 2WD. I am purchasing a 1/10 4WD Traxxas Slash VXL this coming month for my second truck. But again the motor ESC i am considering is only about $45 U.S. for the set but it being so cheap I am ordering 2 just in case. If those both fail me I will be going to the castle creation individually with out a doubt to gain the warranty and the extra piece of mind on the build of the motor/ESC themselves. the one i am currently looking at is on Aliexpress It is a BLMotor brand I am getting the programmer with the ESC/motor combo. It took me the better part of three weeks to find the motor that would fit with the power and torque I wanted out of my truck. As for getting the right ESC with said motor haha ya that took me about 1.5 months to find together. So I agree with you on warranty of parts quality of build and all but if you truly devote some time looking before you buy you can find a nice gem before purchase that would give you a good footing before going after a trustworthy company part at double or triple the costs.
If you are still looking for a cheap combo set i would recommend the Aliexpress website. if you want to purchase individual at a medium price go with the HobbyWing models, if you want full warranty go with Castle Creations or other big name motor ESC company. In the end it is your truck, your choice, and most importantly your money. HAHA