Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Grasshopper 2 and Super Saber recommendations

Old 01-20-2020, 06:25 PM
WingNutKen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grasshopper 2 and Super Saber recommendations

Itís been since 1989 that I have done anything with RC cars. But, I wanted a project for me and my son to share in to teach him something that doesnít involve video games and screen time. So, I bought him a Grasshopper 2. I almost laughed out loud when I saw the motor that came with it! I had no idea it was that small! What motor can you recommend? Also, my older brother gave me his old Super Saber 4wd and I need to get a motor for that one too. Thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2020, 04:21 PM
RustyUs

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The original Grasshoppers and Subaru Brats came with a 380 sized motors. I don't know why they did that, because the Hornets and Frogs came with 540 cans. Meh. Are you looking for a brushed motor just to drop in?https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-540-Brus...47erNoDUepO1Ww
Old 01-23-2020, 10:32 PM
WingNutKen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not racing, but want faster

not racing, but want faster than 380. The link shows several choices, but I donít know what the differences are. Would one of those also work well for my 4wd super Sabre?
Old 01-24-2020, 03:27 AM
RustyUs

Yes, you can use those motors in the Super Sabre. The fewer turns the motor has, the more top end/less torque.You also have to take into account the speed controls motor limit.

I'd start out with a 19T motor, and keep an eye on temps while using high capacity batteries.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:21 AM
RustyUs

I would also add that maybe a brushless motor could be in your future...for the Grasshopper II anyway. I believe the speed controls that come with them are able to run brushless motors as well. That's something to look into. A person can find low budget brushless motors for about the same price as a brushed motor. I'm just not sure about the speed controls that Tamiya puts in their modern platforms, or how well they work with other brands of sensored brushless motors. If I found out that they do work fine with other brands of brushless motors (sensored or sensorless) I'd definitely go with a brushless motor.