Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What to buy? Non-racer

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 09:06 PM
Jmglasell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy? Non-racer

So I'm looking for something to play with in the backyard and on the beach just for fun.
I have 0 plans on getting into racing so but I do love building myself and upgrading parts etc.

I haven't driven anything for over 15 years now so I have no clue whatsoever on what to buy and what to avoid.
I had a Kyosho something truck back in the days and I recognize traxxas and tamayia, that's basically how much I know now lol.

Anyway it's just something for me to play with around the house and probably around the rocks/beach. It never snows and barely rains here either.
I love building and putting together stuff myself so I would prefer that if possible.

I own nothing at all right now so I'm going to need everything.
Is there a point in buying used? Of course that way I lose out on the building but if I'm able to save a bit it could be worth it. I haven't set out a budget really but I'd rather pay a bit more for something much better than save a couple of bucks and might end up disappointed.

What are your thoughts and ideas for me?
Old 02-02-2020, 10:05 PM
tlo1360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO I would go with a build your own 1/10 scale and source parts to run the way you want to run when you are done building or go through a craigslist or similar market there are even markets attached to some of these forums. If you buy one used to cut down initial cost. you could source the chassis style you want 2WD or 4X4 model buggy MT SCT and so on. If you buy used i would recommend sourcing a motor and esc with receiver just in case. NEVER TRUST ANYBODY. Anyone will try to scam someone nowadays, it's just ridiculous. Anyways source upgrade parts or trucks in general that fit your style and go from there really it's whatever you want and what you can afford to do.

now seeing your post again you are in a massive outdoor area with a lot of sand i would go with a 1/8 scale if possible try a set of paddle tires on it in the sandy areas. it is bigger than the 1/10 scale noticeably so if you are not doing a lot of bashing on jumps and just looking for something that does up to 20 MPH in the sand look towards a crawler style so you can have fun on the beach but also spend some time in the rocks just relaxing and RC crawling! If you want more fun in the sand look more at a Truggy/Buggy style with paddle tires and you could easily kick 60-70 MPH sand runs
Either way you go have fun with it, it can get out of control on the wallet, but if you have a set end goal on what you want you can really dial it in on upgrades to get full bang for buck.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:33 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Because you are driving over rocks, I would go with a Monster Truck (MT) if it were my choice.

My top 3 picks for a basher MT would be the following:
  1. TEKNO MT410
  2. ProLine PRO-MT 4x4
  3. Losi LST 3XL