Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is this a good choice

Old 02-02-2020, 05:26 PM
oldblue

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is this a good choice

I saw it on Amazon and was wondering if I can use it to freshen up well up date my old Losi monster (1/10) car- I will need a receiver and a servo but I have about 5 new brushed motors and 6 new NiHh batteries and is "SOLO" not hobbywing even though it says Hobbywing? I assume the port on the far right side is a data port? anyone with experience or another suggestion? Thanks BTW It's only for bashing - sorry the text is so large

https://www.amazon.com/SoloGood-HobbyWing-Waterproof-Electronic-Controller/dp/B07PS3ZGR5/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hobbywing+brushed+esc&qid=1580529526&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-3 https://www.amazon.com/SoloGood-HobbyWing-Waterproof-Electronic-Controller/dp/B07PS3ZGR5/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hobbywing+brushed+esc&qid=1580529526&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-3

Last edited by oldblue; 02-02-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:47 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Don't know why you need a servo if you already have a steering servo in your car. You don't need it for the motor. Don't know what the "port" on the right is for or if it is even a port - there are two lines coming off already. And don't know why two lines. One is obviously the ESC input from the receiver; the other may be a separate brake input. Or an arming switch. If you can't find a manual on Amazon you might try HobbyPartz or Nitroplanes.

BTW, the photo of "waterproof" item is not the same item as the one on the box or being sold. Close but not the same. And there is no way that thing is waterproof. Water resistant maybe but not waterproof.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:27 AM
oldblue

The servo I have on the car is old like 1980's old and I'm told that since it's not "digital" it will not work with the new ESC - I may have to reconsider that ECS then- I wish NOVAK was still in business sheeesh
Old 02-03-2020, 11:05 AM
rgburrill

Whoever told you that servo won't work is just trying to sell you a new expensive servo. That's BS. Servos and ESCs have nothing to do with each other.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:10 AM
oldblue

I kinda thought the guy at that shop was a little shady- OK now I will look for an ESC- I like the hobbywing stuff and I just received a Hobby wing program card- I am finding out there are some shifty sales people out there I guess they can spot a noobe when they see one-
Old 02-03-2020, 11:12 AM
rgburrill

The ESC provides two things: power to run the motor and power to run the electronics. This ESC drives a brushed motor which is what you say you have. Since it is an older vehicle it probably does not have brakes but may have a reverse. This ESC allows you to set it up via the jumper for using it with or without a brake and with or without a reverse. Just set the jumper correctly. This ESC also provides a BEC output to provide power to the receiver. And that power comes through the ESC connector plug to the receiver. The receiver is what drives the servo, not the ESC. And unless you are changing the servo too it likely will not drive a digital servo. Save your money. Get this ESC, AND ONLY THIS ESC. Keep your transmitter, receiver and servo as they are.

Last edited by rgburrill; 02-03-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:31 PM
oldblue

Thanks again for your information- I will do as you suggest- and I'll keep you posted- no to secure funds- this retirement thing makes hobby's a bit difficult hahaha- but it beats working-
Old 02-04-2020, 05:49 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I have owned this ESC and it's a great deal for the price. It is waterproof:

The brake isn't as strong as the XL5 esc from Traxxas, but certainly acceptable, I would definitely recommend the ESC

The power is routed from Battery --> ESC --> Receiver --> Servo
The control signal pulses (steering) are passed from the Receiver --> Servo

Last edited by bill_delong; 02-04-2020 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:15 AM
oldblue

Nice Video thanks- ok now I'm feeling a little better about this ESC
Old 02-16-2020, 05:12 AM
kodak_jack

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DO NOT be deceived by copies of HobbyWing ESC's. I bought one on Ebay that sure looked like the real thing, but when I got it, it did not say HobbyWing on it and it did not have documentation to go with it - it was a copy or maybe a rejected Quickrun. Going by the ad, it's not easy to tell if it's the real thing or not. Why be concerned? It burned up in short order!
Old 02-16-2020, 08:38 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

The OP clearly has referenced the OEM, not some fly by night dealer on eBay, though in your case I would file a PayPal claim to get a refund... if the ad is listed as HobbyWing and you didn't get the item as advertised then that's a completely different issue. I buy my stuff from HobbyWingDirect, they offer free shipping too!
Old 02-16-2020, 08:53 AM
oldblue

Yup lots of fakes out there- kinda hard to tell just by a pic on the computer-I try and support my local shop but sometimes those guys don't seem too interested unless they know you OR just have to look up stuff on line because they have no idea about the stuff they sell- I know it's a lot of stuff but man I can look stuff up on line too- sorry for the rant
The following users liked this post:
kodak_jack (02-18-2020)