Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HPI Nitro to electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 03:48 PM
Overvolted

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HPI Nitro to electric

Hello, I want to convert my HPI RS4 MT2 truck from nitro to electric. It is a single speed truck and 4wd. My question is on pinion and spur gear selection. I would like to reuse my spur gear and need to know what pinion will play nice with it. I plan on going brushless with a 3S lipo battery. If I cant reuse my spur gear what gear set can I use in its place? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:09 PM
Psode27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no help, but I'm doing the same thing currently. Mine is just a Nitro MT. Just ordered a electric t-max brushless mount tonight. I'd read in other forums people having decent luck with that. We shall see.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Overvolted

What motor are you planning to use,esc, battery as well. Im kind of stuck at the pinion and spur. Id like to reuse spur and need a good pinion or a matched set to use. This truck will be for bashing around.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:42 PM
Psode27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take all of this with a grain of salt. I've been out of RC for 15+ years and was all nitro when I was into it.
i bought a hobbywing 10BL120 and a 13.5t motor off eBay. I may or may not use that ESC thought for the NMT. I'm actually swapping an old rc10gt to brushless first, and that ESC was a bit more for that car, though it should be good for either I think. I bought a handful of small pinions, but I have no clue what I'll use. I have no expectations with this build. It's just to screw around with. I've got a 3 year that I thought would dig these cars. Haha.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:22 PM
Overvolted

Pretty much sums up what im doing, screwing around and having fun. Ill have to look at my spur and get some pinions in the same pitch and try them. Thinking of a motor around 20t and an esc to match. Its a built chassis and has been a good truck, im just looking to do something different.