Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best choice around $100 USD?

Old 04-27-2020, 01:34 AM
maxwolfie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best choice around $100 USD?

Hi all,

Can someone suggest some decent options for around $100 USD?

Must have:
4WD
Parts availability
The following users liked this post:
Mmartir1990 (05-11-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 09:37 AM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you talking an entire car? As you can see no one has responded because your post is too vauge. You might be able to get a 1/18 or 1/24 scale for that price. We would need more details before any reasonable suggestion could be made.
RustyUs (05-03-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 04:23 PM
funcentric

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For sure, have you seen my thread of RC Cars for Dads (recommended list for 2019/2020)? Most under your budget of $100.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:20 AM
STBell

Check craiglist as I picked one up for way under that $100.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:14 AM
RustyUs

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by asupervee72 View Post
you talking an entire car? As you can see no one has responded because your post is too vauge. You might be able to get a 1/18 or 1/24 scale for that price. We would need more details before any reasonable suggestion could be made.
Exactly. Thank you.

I know I told OP, in another forum, just go to online hobby store and move sliders, or do refinements to what your budget allows, and see what pops up. A new RTR hobby-ish grade RC for $100 (USD) is going to land you at places like Banggood, and Gearbest.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:23 PM
funcentric

Originally Posted by STBell View Post
Check craiglist as I picked one up for way under that $100.
I'm normally all about buying used. My primary and only car is used. I even bought a couple jackets used before and most of my NERF collection are all used. For a ready to run RC's though, you don't know how well the original owner kept up with the lithium batteries. The cost of new RC's under $100 is so good though, I think it's really worth it to just buy a new one unless there's something specific you're looking for and can't ignore the deal.

As far as Craigslist, it also depends on where you live I suppose. That used to be my primary source for pretty much everything back in the day. In the past 3 years however, I've avoided Craiglist. Too many crazies out there. People meeting you just to rob you or selling you something that they know is broken. I'm more prone to using Next Door app as a safer alternative. For RC's I'd still stick to buying new and picking it up from Aliexpress if you're okay with the 1-1.5 month wait time. Each to their own.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:00 AM
GT2rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can probably get a brushed (slow) 4x4 slash for $100 used.

Remember:
Fast, cheap, repairable ; pick two.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:21 PM
Mmartir1990

i picked up a WLtoys 144001 from bangood with 2 batteries for around $100. lots of aluminum parts and tons of aftermarket and oem replacements available. ive done some researching into it before buying and it seems like the best bang for your buck.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:20 AM
Overvolted

Originally Posted by maxwolfie View Post
Hi all,

Can someone suggest some decent options for around $100 USD?

Must have:
4WD
Parts availability
Check out Hosim or Remo 1/12, 1/16 scale. They are 4wd run on 2s lipo and it looks like there are a decent amount of spare parts available. A neighbor kid has one that he is not sure where he got it from( hes 4 years old) with no battery charger and dad doesnt know too much about hobby grade stuff. Keep in mind it is borderline hobby grade but pretty decent construction. I believe it has a 380 motor, non oil shocks, 4wd and 2s lipo all for under $80.00. I keep ending up with this thing at my house for some reason so I charged it up and it is pretty fast and durable so far. One thing I like is it seems you can dial the power back on the transmitter so little ones can get the handle of driving it. With the power turned up all the way it is too fast for a noob 4yo. I may pick one up for my 6yo daughter as she has proven she can drive, I may even get one for me to bash.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:09 PM
funcentric

Originally Posted by Mmartir1990 View Post
i picked up a WLtoys 144001 from bangood with 2 batteries for around $100. lots of aluminum parts and tons of aftermarket and oem replacements available. ive done some researching into it before buying and it seems like the best bang for your buck.
Many of the budget RC's under $100 are within $15 of one another and sale prices also fall within that range, so it's less about price and more about what option fits the buyer. I have the 144001 too but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone's kid. At first glance it seems like it's perfect for tweaking as it has a huge following and I fell into that too. The pitch on that pinion gear is so rare at 0.7mod that finding a replacement to gear up the 27T is pretty much impossible. The spur gear being proprietary doesn't help either. For out of the box, it's great if you don't mind the 7 minute run time but I'd rather bash around the brushless HBX 16889 for 20+ minutes. For kids, the HBX Rampage as it's got a rare slow mode feature and allows some suspension and ride height adjustability.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:24 AM
Feyenoord

I picked up a WL Toys 12428 for my wife as we go drink a few beers every day in the park with some neighbours and drive our cars around. It is a great buggy for the price. I was surprised guys saying they can't find parts because where I got mine has everything, we have replaced a drive shaft already, replaced screws, etc with no issues. I live in Canada thought and it is a Chinese guy importing directly from China so maybe that makes a difference. Great value though, the WL Toys buggies.
jpayson (07-01-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 02:55 PM
funcentric

I have that too. Downsides though is that the play time on that kinda sucks at 7-8 minutes. Also the pitch on the gears is pretty much impossible to find if you want to gear up or down w/o some major modifications.

For under a $100, I still like the HBX 16889 which is my go-to RC that I use the most.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:57 PM
funcentric

Originally Posted by Feyenoord View Post
I picked up a WL Toys 12428 for my wife as we go drink a few beers every day in the park with some neighbours and drive our cars around. It is a great buggy for the price. I was surprised guys saying they can't find parts because where I got mine has everything, we have replaced a drive shaft already, replaced screws, etc with no issues. I live in Canada thought and it is a Chinese guy importing directly from China so maybe that makes a difference. Great value though, the WL Toys buggies.
I haven't driven one, but in my research, I came across a lot of people who seemed to like that truck too. Nice to hear that you're a big fan as well. Yes, WL Toys quads used to suck when the technology wasn't there yet. I haven't touched their quads recently but it seems their RC cars are spot on.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:46 AM
Feyenoord

Originally Posted by funcentric View Post
I haven't driven one, but in my research, I came across a lot of people who seemed to like that truck too. Nice to hear that you're a big fan as well. Yes, WL Toys quads used to suck when the technology wasn't there yet. I haven't touched their quads recently but it seems their RC cars are spot on.
They are amazing value for the price. Kevin Talbot the Youtube guy did a few videos with them and he really liked them for the price.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:49 PM
funcentric

Yes, I love that guy's videos. Have seen a bunch of them.

The OP wasn't very specific about the use of the $100 RC, so even though the 144001 is great value, it could be useless if he or (someone else reading this forum) is looking for an RC with longer run time than the 8 minutes that the 144001 offers. For doing flips, ramps, longer 20+ run time and brushless efficiency or more durability, I'd recommend the HBX 16889 even if purchased at the same price as the 144001. Value is all there with these budget ones. More important is whether it serves the purpose of the buyer well.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:52 PM
Feyenoord

Originally Posted by funcentric View Post
Yes, I love that guy's videos. Have seen a bunch of them.

The OP wasn't very specific about the use of the $100 RC, so even though the 144001 is great value, it could be useless if he or (someone else reading this forum) is looking for an RC with longer run time than the 8 minutes that the 144001 offers. For doing flips, ramps, longer 20+ run time and brushless efficiency or more durability, I'd recommend the HBX 16889 even if purchased at the same price as the 144001. Value is all there with these budget ones. More important is whether it serves the purpose of the buyer well.
Yeah, I have been watching a bunch of his, I also like AMPRO Engineering for videos on how to repair, replace, upgrade, etc.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:57 AM
Persian Empire

Exclamation

ONE word: EBAY

Go on EBAY. And search RC Car 1/10.
Then make sure you make the buying format to 'Auction'.
Then look for a car that is Ready To Run. And see if it is in working order.
Ask the seller some questions about if everything works fine and stuff.
Also Search the same model on the internet. If there is no name, ask the seller.
If you want a fast RC car, with long run time. Well when I mean fast I mean 22MPH or something like that.
Just see if the battery is NIMH or LIPO. If it's NIMH, then make sure it is not below 2000mAh.
If it's a Lipo then make sure the battery is not a small like proper small battery.

I have attached photos on examples of what you should be looking for and also the brand names which are very reliable and popular around RC Folks like me and soon to be you:

A brushless car on the other hand would have different connectors. Most definitely not Tamiya connectors which are the same ones on the above image. And the motor would look a lot more better.

Well definitely do not get a WLTOYS as far as I can see people mentioning it. Which in respect is quite a dumb recommendation. Avoid WLTOYS. It will torture you with steering problems and many many things.

Brands you should consider can be: Carisma, Tamiya, Kyosho, Traxxas, HPI, HSP and a few more.

Make sure to check out my profile!

Thanks.

Persian Empire.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:52 AM
jpayson

Originally Posted by Feyenoord View Post
Beer ,friends and RC ? sounds like heaven