Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ECX AMP MT or Redcat Blackout XTE

Old 04-27-2020, 10:13 AM
netmatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECX AMP MT or Redcat Blackout XTE

ECX AMP or Redcat Blackout XTE

I am down to one of these two for my second RC (first was a basic cheap GP Toys) I am leaning to the AMP due to the vast amount of info, upgrades and users. ...but the Blackout is 4WD and has pretty good upgrades as well, just newer with less fan base.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-28-2020, 06:24 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

4WD will perform better, that would be my pick between the two options.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:47 AM
netmatt

Thanks bill_delong , agreed I also like that better, which is why it is a competitor! If I was going 2WD, I would just get the AMP and be done with it.

Recently, I realized that the Blackout XTE is on Amazon, which is a blessing and a curse for them, I think. A blessing due to increased customer base, sales...curse because of the reviews! Good grief, there are a ton of failed reviews, and disasters on the Blackout.

I was trying to find info here on the forums on the AMP, but when searching for "ECX AMP" the search fails due to those being 3 letter names, lol! Shame on them for using short names. Makes it very hard to look up AMP reviews and info on this forum.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:51 AM
bill_delong

If you're considering other options, then take a look at the Exceed Infinitive from NitroRCX:
https://www.nitrorcx.com/51c803-fireyellow-24ghz.html

Old 04-28-2020, 07:16 AM
netmatt

Interesting, I have not even looked at that one, and I was thinking I had did a pretty comprehensive look at all in my price range. I'll do some review on it, thanks for the link, bill_delong If there is more information here or anywhere you can suggest, let me know, may save some google time ;-) Do these sell in Hobby shops, or mostly online?

How about parts and upgrades? Sourced out of China, UK, USA, other?
Old 04-28-2020, 07:50 AM
bill_delong

The OEM is from HSP, they are rebranded all over the net, in fact I think RedCat might even rebrand this same chassis too!

It's possible that LHS's might stock HSP parts, but typically they are fairly cheap from NitroRCX, especially when they offer free shipping on parts orders over $25... if they are out of stock then I would hit eBay to get the part you need from China.

HSP is the not the best quality, but certainly the best quality for the price IMO... don't expect a $300 value for a $100 RTR
Old 04-28-2020, 05:53 PM
RustyUs

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by netmatt
Thanks bill_delong , agreed I also like that better, which is why it is a competitor! If I was going 2WD, I would just get the AMP and be done with it.

Recently, I realized that the Blackout XTE is on Amazon, which is a blessing and a curse for them, I think. A blessing due to increased customer base, sales...curse because of the reviews! Good grief, there are a ton of failed reviews, and disasters on the Blackout.

I was trying to find info here on the forums on the AMP, but when searching for "ECX AMP" the search fails due to those being 3 letter names, lol! Shame on them for using short names. Makes it very hard to look up AMP reviews and info on this forum.
https://www.ecxforum.com/forums/ecx-amp/

Old 04-28-2020, 09:05 PM
netmatt

Thanks! Decided to go with the AMP. The Exceed upgrades page was all sold out, and googled sites for some of those parts and those sites were sold out as well. Heard similar about the Blackout, and I like the idea of going to the hobby store to get upgrades. Supporting the small business and all! Go it charged up, and just had a little daylight to run it around the yard. Ran into one tree...lol. No damage. Thanks for the assist!