Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

SC 10 Ball diff

Old 04-30-2020, 10:07 AM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC 10 Ball diff

I bought a used SC10 and went to rebuild the diff with 5 k fluid only to find a ball diff that had been melted to bits. I got the needed parts and rebuilt it according to team associated specs. Even using the break in procedure.
It was running well but now that I have about 10 packs through it the wheels will spin the same direction if i spin one, sometimes it will reverse for a sec then go back to same direction. I thought maybe the gear melted again so I pulled it apart. It wasn't melted but there was black gunk in there, not sure if that's what happens to ball diff grease as this is my first ball diff.
I didn't take any of the balls out but I cleaned up the gunk as best I could regreased it and ran a pack through it last night and everything seemed to be fine.

I spin the wheels this morning and same thing, they spin same direction. I can easily hold one still and even rotate them opposite but they won't do it on their own like when I first rebuilt it.

Where can I read about ball diffs? I couldn't find much on you tube or using the search function here.

I'm running a 5200 kv motor on 2s lipo geared 20/87, it had 26/87 gearing on it when I got it. I've also tried 17 and 24 but I like 20/87 for all around. I really like the truck with this set up but I want something reliable so I will slow it down if needed.
Can ball diffs take that sort of power? Is it possible my diff gear is slightly melted and I couldn't really tell? Ball seats seemed slightly larger but I don't have an unused one to compare to.

I had a blitz with a gear diff the last time i was playing with SC trucks and aside from an easily repairable leak here and there it never gave me any issues but I was also only running a 13.5 T motor in that truck.

I can still run the truck how it is but i thought the wheels should spin opposite directions when you spin one.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:05 AM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a second look, if I hold the spur they do spin opposite. I'm just a little paranoid due to it being melted when I got it and not even thinking to check cause the truck ran. Seems like it might just be a bit tight which i'm ok with.

What should my rebuild schedule look like for this thing? It seemed sorta dry. Between the ring and the outdrive still had good lube but between the rings and balls seemed dry, very viscous at least.
I've just been running in front of my house, Its a mix of grass, concrete, asphalt, and some dirt, not sand but the dirt is fairly fine. I'm wondering if the fines are making their way into the diff and drying it out.

Trying to get an idea of what a properly working diff would look like if you took it apart after a couple hours of use but no one takes apart a diff that is working fine.

Should the grease stay clear or is it normal for it to turn black?
Old 05-01-2020, 03:05 AM
RustyUs

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

The Associated ball diff can handle most anything you throw at it if build properly. I'd buy a new diff gear for them balls to ride in . Only use diff lube on the balls, and black grease on the thrust bearing. When I'm rebuilding a diff, I reuse the diff rings a couple of times, but I make sure to sand down the tiny grooves on the rings after flipping/using other side. I probably go through a set of diff rings once a year, on my AE 2wd ball diff platforms, after doing four to six clean/rebuilds and the same set of diff rings. YMMV.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:10 AM
RustyUs

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I do very similar to my diffs ...