Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help with rustler vxl build

Old 05-08-2020, 01:15 AM
23@thelip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with rustler vxl build

I have a rustler vxl that I'm wanting to mod up to take to the track. What I'm needing is some guidance on what motor/esc and battery upgrade would be the best. Also looking for tires that don't balloon for doing speed runs. Suspension and chassis mods I have figured out I'm just a little lost as far as motors go because I've only ever ran nitro. This is my first electric rc

Last edited by 23@thelip; 05-08-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:37 AM
RustyUs

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

You sure do have a lot that you want to take on with the Rustler. What battery(s), motor, wheels, and tires is going to be dependant on your hopes, and "track" conditions/particulars. We don't know what "take to the track" means. Are you thinking about off-road club racing at local track, or something else? There are all kinds of speed runs done. How fast you want to go is up to you, and that will determine what you will need. People will usually document accomplishments on their YouTube videos with what they are using for their project.

I know for me, I'd be starting with a 3S LiPo pack while using Jaco foam tires.

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-08-2020 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:19 PM
23@thelip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am tracking down all aluminum components for steering, body mounts, chassis, etc., And I've found a place to order that. Basically im removing all the plastic,and its going to be a complete rebuild. I've got pro line shocks ordered. The track is indoor dirt, I'm not ready for actually racing bit that is the end goal. As far as speed runs I'm talking about flat pavement which I should be able to accomplish with some suspension adjustment and tire swap. I would like to get it to run 85-90 on pavement.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:25 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You might need 2 cars .
At a start , I would get 12 to 17mm hex adapters . Some GRP tires . A big 3S battery . These motors tend to run hot so get a temp gun and be careful if you start gearing it up .
Old 05-11-2020, 01:43 AM
GT2rider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a 3S battery in it and run it! It will be plenty fast. No need to replace the VXL for now. The first parts to explode will be the shocks and axles. I love the proline shocks. I don't know of any good axles, I converted to Tekno M6 which don't break, but they bend and vibrate which is just as bad. Maybe MIP or traxxas CV axles work better?

As seedy said, the motor will get hot on 3S. Get a motor fan and save yourself some headache!