Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Lipo charger recommendation

Old 05-11-2020, 04:09 AM
bline22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo charger recommendation

Hello,

My son is need of a reasonable ac lipo charger. It doesn't need to be one that charges the battery in minutes. If it took an hour to charge that is ok as i would get an extra battery likely. Any recommendations or additional info needed?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:02 PM
bill_delong

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Check out the IMAX B6AC, more info here:

Which charger is the best?
Old 05-12-2020, 04:25 AM
bline22

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have a hard time telling with some of these if there is an ac cord in the package. This seems silly but should i assume this or is there an easy way to tell if it has the cord? For example with the first model in the article
Old 05-12-2020, 04:44 AM
bill_delong

If you click on the product page for the IMAX B6AC , also note that the AC in the name indicates that it's an AC charger, the B6 version without AC in the name does not include the AC supply/adapter, here is one of the product pics showing the AC cord included:

Both versions of the charger:

Last edited by bill_delong; 05-12-2020 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:01 AM
Overvolted

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bline22 View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply. I have a hard time telling with some of these if there is an ac cord in the package. This seems silly but should i assume this or is there an easy way to tell if it has the cord? For example with the first model in the article
I just purchased the Imax B6ac charger and it seems to fit my needs well. It can be confusing on weather or not it has an ac power cord. As stated already look for the ac model and check the discription and pictures to make sure it has a power cord included.

My charger worked great out of the box the first two times I used it then the ac power cord stopped working. Im am fortunate in that I work with 24 and 36 volt commericial battery chargers and had a replacement cord in the shop that fit correctly.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:30 AM
bline22

Thanks again for both responses and that helped and good to hear it was a challenge for someone else too to ID the one with AC. Felt like silly question
Old 05-12-2020, 05:27 PM
mugeyman

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hi bline22 well to also help you is i have a ultra power it is a dual charger it is very good charger along with the i max chargers ok mugey
Old 05-15-2020, 05:17 AM
bline22

Thanks again everyone for the responses and I just received the imax b6ac but i have to admit it is more complicated then what i recall as a kid and simply plugging the battery in and hitting the single charge button.

This is the battery i have: HobbyStar 3700mAh 7.4V, 2S 100C Hardcase "Shorty-Lite" LiPo Battery

There is some call out to setting the voltage within the instructions but i don't see in there that it states 7.4v. I do see the 3.7v. do i use that? Do i use this balance option or what is that for? discharge? Hoping someone can give me a quick lesson to not destroy something or burn my house down.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:29 AM
bill_delong

I highly recommend that you read the manual completely... look for the following:

1) Set charger into "LiPo" mode
2) Set program into "BAL" operation (do not leave it in "CHG", that will not balance your cells
3) Set charge rate to max, which I think is 5.0A
4) check the default safety features such as capacity and timer, be sure they are enabled.

Good Luck!
Old 05-24-2020, 02:04 PM
funcentric

I was going to steer you away from the SkyRC iMax, but looks like I'm too late. The only issue is that there are so many knockoffs that it's hard to tell if you have a genuine one or not unless you got it straight from the company. Some have reported glitches in the charging and that it doesn't charge as quickly as the screen indicates it should.

Let's just assume all is fine. I can relate to you as I've been out of the scene prior to a few months ago and got back into the RC hobby just recently. The interface on the charging isn't that intuitive so hopefully this video I put together would help, particularly for addressing how to change it from charging Li-Ions to charging LiPo's.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:32 PM
bill_delong

There is nothing wrong with the IMAX brand of charger, it's no different than any other budget brand in this price range. The main reason people have complaints about longer charge times are because there is no specification of the "Balance Current" so we can only guess of what it may be. A higher quality charger will provide at least 2A of Balance Current through the balance board. Some have speculated that low end chargers such as IMAX will only provide 0.5A of Balance Current. When a battery is brand new, the Internal Resistance (IR) between the cells are perfectly matched, so very little (if any) current will be applied through the balance board. Over time as the battery degrades, the IR will increase on one or more cells, the cells will no longer be "matched" and it will start to take longer for the battery to balance, the lower the Balance Current, the longer it will take to charge. A higher quality charger which provides a higher balance current will be able to compensate/mitigate charge times for an aged battery that is approaching the end of its effective use.

More than likely if the battery is taking an excessive amount of time to charge, then the battery needs to be replaced, though a higher quality charger will typically have an IR meter so you can check the health of your cells where I recommend discarding a pack once any individual cell goes farther than 2mΩ apart.

Last edited by bill_delong; 05-24-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:00 PM
funcentric

I think you misunderstood me. We're on the same side. The iMax B6 is great. So great that it's knocked off. I'm not saying it's a knockoff in itself. I'm saying other companies have made their own version with the same color and the same labels and are selling them as the real thing. They're selling them cheaper and they've cut corners somewhere with quality control.

Example:

Old 05-24-2020, 09:02 PM
funcentric

I found the video of the comparison while charging. The OP can do whatever he wants. I just wanted to make sure he had all the info to make a choice. Each to their own.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:12 AM
bill_delong

You raise a good point, and yes everyone should be aware that they will always get what they pay for. The video you linked explains how the knock off charger is lighter in weight which demonstrates how they've taken short cuts with lower quality components throughout. He said the charger worked fine for about a year before it went bad. I think that's more than enough time for someone to shop around for a higher quality charger as they gain experience in the hobby. I will update my linked article with your warnings, though I personally prefer the iCharger brand myself in terms of quality. SkyRC isn't known for high quality to begin with which I find ironic, ha!
Old 05-27-2020, 04:04 PM
RustyUs

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy a SkyRC charger. They (SkyRC) are OEM for a few well known names in the RC business. My Hitec X2 AC Plus is a rebranded SkyRC D100, and has survived years of doing it's job all day long in 95*F sunshine . There is a reason why there were, and still are, so many iMax knockoffs. SkyRC made a very good low budget entry level charger back in the day, and everyone wanted a piece of the pie. The updated SkyRC iMax B6AC V2 even has internal resistance measuring. The only problem is...

Fast forward to today, and you have many great brands offering chargers with even more features. A lot of times a person can find a good dual charger for the price of yesterday's single output models. I would have bought another SkyRC charger, but since I now use a seperate power supply, and there is nothing on the list of SkyRC products that are DC only, I went with Hota for meeting my charging needs this time. During my search for a new charger, I didn't want to spend lots of money, but the charger had to have a few key features that are important to me, and be able to handle 4S LiPo packs and 2C charge rates. The Hota D6 fit the bill.