Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

TLR 22X-4 or Associated B74?

Old 05-25-2020, 03:47 PM
Clodbusterfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TLR 22X-4 or Associated B74?

I think the TLR has a slipper and the B74 has a center diff. Which is better? Can you guys give some pros and cons of the differences of these 2 great buggies? Also can these use only a shorty configuration battery or will they fit other size batteries too?
Old 05-25-2020, 07:08 PM
mugeyman

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

hi clodbuster, well they are both good buggies the losi 22x4 comes with a slipper the b74 comes with a center diff ( viscous drive ) silicone oil filled diff ,which can be altered it can be altered with different differential silicone weight thicker or thinner weights
the center diff is easier to drive on a track going in and out of turns and slowing down faster use center diff( oil filled ) the thinner center dill oil the front wheels un load more during acceleration and decreases on power steering reduces over steer and easy to drive on a rough track now thicker center diff oil has that more all wheel drive effect it increases on power steering and great for smooth tracks and high traction tracks the slipper set up does not give you those variable adjustments ,you set the slipper so it slips some what when going over jumps it reacts faster and harder to drive with on throttle racing , i know all the 1/8 scale buggies , truggies use a center diff with silicone oil in the them , BTW the team associated b74 also has the option to purchase a slipper diff complete about $ 50 . ok
these 1/10 scale 4wd buggies onlty take the shorty batteries 2s - 7.4 v , i purchase the hard case shorty batts 2s -7.4 , the losi 22x4 is still new just came out a few months ago so i have not seen it close up and on the track just on youtube videos. the b74 and b64 are alike with some up grades and spare parts are more reasonable too well i hope i helped you good luck with your choice ok mugey
Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 PM
Clodbusterfan

Thanks mugey! I am leaning towards the 22x4 because I heard you don't have to bother with changing the slipper diff and the center diff you have to tinker with. I am not racing. I just want a fun car that will perform well. And run it over the jumps I have made in a field. No flips or things like that just small jumps.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:57 PM
Clodbusterfan

Is this true that the slipper doesn't have to be tinkered with and the center diff does?
Old 05-26-2020, 01:08 PM
mugeyman

hi clodbuster again yes once you set the slipper your are done you want it to slip a little to prevent damage to your gears in front and rear differential , especially if you have lots of jumps on the track , what i mean about the center diff , it has more gears in the center
diff . you adjust the silicone viscosity thicker weight oil from 8.000 wt to a 10,000 or heavier or to lighter weight to a 5, 000 wt this will help you with an over steer or under steer going into and out of turns ok . looking at the team associated b74 team kit manual , it comes with the slipper diff now ok , the center differential is optional kit now hope i helped mugey
Old 05-26-2020, 06:13 PM
Clodbusterfan

I have always liked the look of TLR's buggies better than the Associated buggies.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:23 PM
mugeyman

hi clodbuster i pm you ok mugey
Old 05-27-2020, 06:41 AM
Clodbusterfan

Can't wait to buy the TLR!
Old 05-29-2020, 08:48 PM
Clodbusterfan

I have the Spektrum DX5C radio. I want to run the 22x4 with a Spektrum ESC. Which one should I use? And what about a motor and steering servo? Any ideas guys?
Old 05-30-2020, 04:34 AM
mugeyman

hi clodbuster i think probably the 130Amp esc to fit 1/10 scale 4wd buggies and truggies i use a hobbywing quicrun 10bl 120 amp it has to FIT someplace in buggy chassis then putting wires to various areas for motor , receiver , servo , a servo you need must handle the weight of the vehicle of 5 -6 lbs making left and right turns and stand up to jumping also with out stripping gears or a crash into a an object probably a 150 oz torque i use a savox 1258 tg ( titanium gear ) and it has a fast reaction speed time too
motors, the motor for 1/10 scale 4wd stock ROAR CLASS is 13.5 T the motors brand i can recommend trinity monster , SURPASS mc clan , team powers the modified class guys using lower turn motors 8.5 , 7,5 ,6,5 ,5,5 these have a higher kv rating and are stupid fast..
to meaasure kv rpm motor 3250kv x 1 volt =3250 rpm , 3250 x 7.4 volt which is total of your 2s battery pack = 24,050 rpm of your motor ok ,, ,the lower turn motor the higher kv the higher the rpm of the motor it will go ok go with a 13.5 t motor that will be
very fast for you also you want a esc that can handle lower turn motors too i have 7.5 t motor coming about 6100 kv x 7.4 volt = 45,140 rpm this will be real fast and for modified class , there is a kv motor rating chart on line ok see the new losi 22x4 on you tube
video a racer just posted it yeaterday ok hope i helped you mugey