Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I think I will go with the Kyosho Turbo Optima.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:45 PM
Clodbusterfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I will go with the Kyosho Turbo Optima.

I am going to buy a Kyosho Turbo Optima. I will run a Hobbywing 1060 here:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...iant=753399705

What motor should I run? This is a 23T. Should I get a more powerful motor?
https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/elect...0-sport-tuned/
Old 05-31-2020, 12:33 PM
RustyUs

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My first question is, do you already have the brushed speed control?

I only ask that, because if you are running large capacity battery packs, a brushed motor probably will have a greater chance of overheating. I tried to return to my brushed motor days with a couple of different 17T motors on a stadium truck, and they all got extremely hot no matter what I did to the gearing. I was lucky to get 6 minutes run time before I had shut everything down to cool off. I not saying you'll have the same experience as me.

You got to take into consideration if you're running LiPo packs or not. I used to run my Optima on 7 cell NiCd packs with a Technigold 21T motor...it ripped! At least it seemed like it back then. I think if you don't want stupid crazy fast...I don't know what to tell you. I'd go with a 19T and a 2S LiPo. If it was a smidgen too fast, then play with gearing and radio throttle endpoint.

Good luck, and enjoy the Turbo Optima! I'm a bit jealous .
Old 05-31-2020, 01:37 PM
Clodbusterfan

What tooth pinion would keep the motor from heating up? I like torque better than top speed anyway. I will be using an Nimh battery pack.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:44 AM
RustyUs

I'd go with the manual recommendation, or what is supplied with the kit. I know the Optima re-re came with a 25T 48P pinion.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:42 PM
Clodbusterfan

So you are saying that combination i posted links about wont work well in the Kyosho Turbo Ultima? WHat do yo recommend? I heard someone talk about this for a buggy:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?I=LXHAFG&P=ML

But would still need a motor...
Old 06-03-2020, 03:16 AM
RustyUs

What you linked in the original post would indeed work. The Hobbywing QUICRUN 1060 brushed ESC is very good. If you already have it, then use it. That's the one I used in my stadium truck. It's my choice of low cost brushed motors that I was not impressed with.

Edit: I personally would skip the brushed idea. Hobbywing is usually my go to ESC brand. If not caring about a sensored setup, I'd have a close look at one of Hobbywing's EZRun combos. The 3300kv would be my first choice for a 4wd re-re buggy. If you have a radio that has throttle endpoint adjustment, you could always turn it down. I know the 4000kv G2 motor is a handful and I only run it at 85% in a 4wd stadium truck.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-03-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:02 PM
gixer1k

My first RC car was a Turbo Optima in 1986. I was a new Air Force Airman and heading to Germany. I decided to order one to play with over there. It was a lot of fun.

It wasn't until I got to Germany that I discovered they used completely different frequencies. I wasn't supposed to use it, but I never had any issues.

I am so tempted to get another one. I see they even made the chain drive available.

Enjoy it.