Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

looking for suggestions for my son

Old 06-22-2020, 09:59 AM
byroncheung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for suggestions for my son

My son is 8 and into cars. So far his only exposure to RC cars are just toy-grade RCs.

I'm thinking of getting him a kit electric car, so he can learn while he builds it. When I was a teenager (back in 80/90s) I had couple of electric RCs from tamiya & kyoshu, so while I'm not a complete noob, I have been out of touch for so long now I don't know what's the state of things now.

So I'm looking for recommendations on what should I get him. I'm thinking about off-road because we can just run in on our backyards/woods/parks and have some fun with it going over tree roots / rocks / little jumps. Speed/power is not a requirement since he is going to need some learning/practice, lower speed/power is actually good because that limits the potential of damage. And again I want to get a kit instead of ready-to-run because I think he will enjoy the build process and can learn from it. So what would fit the bills? Also obviously this is for a beginner so I don't want to sink too much money into it yet if possible.

TIA
Old 06-22-2020, 03:19 PM
mugeyman

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

hi byron , well wht you described you want you are doing with vehicle you want a 4 wheel drive truck or truggy 4wd style , kits are expensive you have to go out and get motors ,servos esc batteries tires and wheels etc ok mugey
Old 06-23-2020, 06:04 AM
bill_delong

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This would be a great 1st build:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-am...kit-p-ecx03034

Old 07-02-2020, 06:29 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tamiya still makes the Lunch Box that had access to as kids. It's a fun, easy build, you will enjoy doing it with him. The instructions even have that same nice artwork they did in the 80s.

Buy a ball bearing kit from ebay and put it in from the start. It's not too fast, but it is fun.

It's not great in grass, but a lot better than a buggy. 4WD is more complex and costs more, but would be better in grass. You can get a Stampede 4x4 kit that is allegedly very good. I have the ready-to-run brushless model, and it handles grass OK, but you're best off finding other terrain to run on. I like to take mine on nature hikes through the woods and find places to drive it along the way. With a modern battery or two, you can just have it drive alongside you as you go. It goes 40 minutes on a charge of these batteries we have nowadays.

Only problem is a lot of things are out of stock during COVID...
Old 07-06-2020, 10:20 PM
Trailblazen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a RTR Rustler 2WD XL5 for my 5yo son and myself to use together. Been forever since I did RC so was a great starting point.