Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What tire to use for dirt and street

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 12:06 PM
bline22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tire to use for dirt and street

Hello, i posted this on the wrong forum and RustyUs i believe it was helped us a bit that we do in fact glue these things on. What I would still like to know is if the tires we have below are OK for street and dirt driving for a first timer? Below was our post which outlines some other details that likely are needed.

Original Post
My son and I are completely new to this. He got a car for Christmas to build. This is the car he has built:
PR S1 V3 FM SPORT 2wd Buggy kit

He is to the point of adding his tires which he did and finished up the rest so he could try it out. When he went outside to test it out the front tires kept coming off. Are we suppose to glue them on or place foam(like we did on the rear) in them or anything or how do we keep them on? With the tire on they seem like they are riding on the rim.

He has these tires
front:https://www.amainhobbies.com/schumac...6775%2fp232424
rear:https://www.amainhobbies.com/schumac...6842%2fp697584

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:06 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, he has to glue them on. You can buy "tire glue" at the hobby shop, it is just thin CA glue. (cyano-acrylate) Watch out, as it bonds fingers instantly, and it's thinner than water.

Take the tires off the wheels, then wash the wheels and inside edges of the tires with Windex or isopropyl rubbing alcohol first. (to get any dust and skin oil off, so the glue will stick.)

Then, put a dab of glue at about 4 points around the outside of the wheel, between the tire and wheel, with the assembly laying down. Give it a few minutes to make sure it's set up. Then, flip it over and do the same thing on ther side.

If you don't have a local hobby shop and don't want to wait for an order, you can get regular CA glue at the home improvement store, but it's thicker and will require a lot more care not to slop it everywhere.

Didn't the manual say anything about gluing the tires on?
Old 07-02-2020, 03:57 AM
bline22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply and details around the process. We can surely handle that. No we didn't see anything about gluing the tires on. I think the manual needs some love and attention.

Do you think the tires, once glued, are OK for driving on pavement/dirt outside the house?

Old 07-02-2020, 06:21 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bline22
Thanks for the reply and details around the process. We can surely handle that. No we didn't see anything about gluing the tires on. I think the manual needs some love and attention.

Do you think the tires, once glued, are OK for driving on pavement/dirt outside the house?
Yes, definitely. We all do it all the time. They will NOT let go. (makes us sad to have to throw out the wheels when the tires are done, but that's how it is!)
Old 07-02-2020, 09:01 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

mounting tires is a very broad topic that isn't appropriate to put in the manual for the kit, search the net and you will find dozens of approaches, also note that the tires you ordered did not come with foam inserts, while they may be optional on the front tires, you need inserts for the rear, and Schumacher sells a wide range of density on the inserts to choose. I recommend the blue medium inserts to start with.

The tires you have selected will do okay for dirt, but will wear fast on the street.

Typically you want a soft compound for dirt and a medium compound for street, also a stiffer foam insert for street to get more support which will also reduce tire wear. You want more flex for off-road to get better traction.

https://www.rccaraction.com/how-to-g...sitor_pref_pop
The following users liked this post:
Jeremy Z (07-02-2020)