Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New e revo 2.0 motor?

Old 07-21-2020, 03:09 PM
Cptmorgan12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New e revo 2.0 motor?

Hi I'm pretty new to rcs.i just purchased an e revo 2.0 I did a little research allready but cant get much info on its stock motor. The esc is 6 cell so does that mean 22 v? I figured out its stock motor is 2200kv.if I wanted more speed and power what would be a motor a step up from that? And can I used the esc that came on the truck with it.i think o have to stick to 2 3cell lipo battery is as 4c wouldn't fit battery compartments.can somone tell me what a good motor upgrade would be? I want more speed or atleast a cooler running motor with its current top speed 70 mph
Old 07-22-2020, 08:46 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cptmorgan12 View Post
Hi I'm pretty new to rcs.i just purchased an e revo 2.0 I did a little research allready but cant get much info on its stock motor. The esc is 6 cell so does that mean 22 v? I figured out its stock motor is 2200kv. if I wanted more speed and power what would be a motor a step up from that? And can I used the esc that came on the truck with it.i think o have to stick to 2 3cell lipo battery is as 4c wouldn't fit battery compartments.can somone tell me what a good motor upgrade would be? I want more speed or atleast a cooler running motor with its current top speed 70 mph
Trust me, you DON'T want more speed and power. With a couple of 3S packs in this and geared up for pavement, it will do 70 mph, which is ridiculously fast. Off-road, you can't reasonably go that fast; it's better geared down to maybe 40 mph and a couple of 2S LiPos. (and you won't break it as much, either) Even on-road, you can't turn going that fast, so it would be just for speed runs. Speed runs are fun for a week or two, then you'll want to get back to some real driving. With a couple of 3S packs in it as a beginner, you're going to break it all the time and hopefully won't hurt anyone in the process.

Sorry that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

If you are really interested in speed runs, that's the wrong car. You should get a road car with proper aerodynamics. Leave the E-Revo on 4S and you'll be satisfied with any offroad running. MAYBE 6S if you have a large open field without grass that's too high.

8S is too much for a model this size. People do it, blow a bunch of money, then either go back to 4 or 6 or get a 1/5 scale to run 8S.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:53 PM
Cptmorgan12

Yah I know it's not for offroad going 70 like you said I just wanted to see the top speed. when it was geard for 50 using 6s lipos the motor got pretty hot after running for about 45 mins I ordered a decent cooling fan for it allready hopefully that helps.and yah I've broke alot of parts allready but that's the fun of it for me anyway.on the box it only shows like 5 configurations for gearing but in the downloadable manual I see like 20 or so. What I would really like is about 55 to allmost 60.without overheating. So if I need to get a motor that can do that and run cooler I would just buy it I have allready ordered extra parts and replaced the stock plastic servos for a single savox sw 1212sg...also replaced the plastic out for metal gears on the stock servos...for fun....got some street tires for speed run...but yah I would like to run around 55 to a lil under 60 top speed and mostly dirt gravel and some road. The hardest part for me is motor kv amounts and if my velineon vxl-6s can just handle any 6s capable motor.ive watched maaaany videos but there's just so many motors n escs I dont know enough yet I suppose thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:42 AM
Jeremy Z

Yah I know it's not for offroad going 70 like you said I just wanted to see the top speed. when it was geard for 50 using 6s lipos the motor got pretty hot after running for about 45 mins I ordered a decent cooling fan for it allready hopefully that helps.
As time goes on, you won't feel the need to do speed runs for 45 minutes at a time, so you don't really need the fan. You'll know it can do it, as you'll have seen it so many times. I had a local RC buddy I met here years ago, and on the topic of speed runs, he said: "It's boring. You want to do 70? Get a Bandit VXL, put it on 3S, gear it up, and remove the wing. It'll do 70 no problem. So what?" I think it's a phase everyone goes through. Especially guys my age who can remember when only nitro could really break 35 mph or so." (NiCad/brushed motor days)

and yah I've broke alot of parts allready but that's the fun of it for me anyway.on the box it only shows like 5 configurations for gearing but in the downloadable manual I see like 20 or so. What I would really like is about 55 to allmost 60.without overheating.
For 45 minutes? That is going to be one beefy motor setup!

... and replaced the stock plastic servos for a single savox sw 1212sg
It's funny that you mention this as I check back on this thread. Yesterday, I brought my Summit to a picnic where my girlfriend had an old friend and her family over. I was going to let the kids run it around. Right as they got there, one of the servos either stripped or burned out. That dual servo arrangement is stupid. It works OK, but requires that the servos be perfectly in alignment, and even then they eventually burn out from fighting each other at certain points in the throw. I'm going to look into a single powerful servo to replace the dual ones, but hopefully not one that requires its own BEC...

....got some street tires for speed run...but yah I would like to run around 55 to a lil under 60 top speed and mostly dirt gravel and some road.
Are you talking about having it geared for 55-60 AND running offroad, or are you talking about 55-60 for speed runs and slower for offroad?

The hardest part for me is motor kv amounts and if my velineon vxl-6s can just handle any 6s capable motor.ive watched maaaany videos but there's just so many motors n escs I dont know enough yet I suppose thanks for the suggestions.
I guess you'll find out. I'm betting you'll need to upgrade the ESC to something like a Mamba Monster Extreme. You might try the Traxxas company forum.

Another thought: Why not quite pouring money into this, trying to make it faster, and get something that was designed for speed from the outset? ...like a 1/10 touring car or even a Traxxas XO-1, then leave the E-Revo for offroad?

By the time you're done pouring money into the E-Revo, you'll wish you had done that ^. Mark my words.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:19 AM
Cptmorgan12

Yah 55 60 offroad with offroad tires. The street tires I went n did my speed run stuff...yah all good now back to offroad hah. Yah ur right I'm looking at a bandit vxl now.i got lucky when i found a revo bout a month ago stopped in a hobby shop they happend to have 6 of em and said they go quick.im looking around for other brands also losi dont look bad. But yah thanks for the help ur right I'll probably just get another one....now that I'm addicted...last time I owned a decent rc was idk 15 yrs ago and they have came a very long way...I should be happy with the speeds I'm getting hah. I skipped over nitro....it was so damn expensive.then brushless motors went down n I went for it..thanks again.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:27 PM
Jeremy Z

Yah 55 60 offroad with offroad tires.
55-60 offroad is still AWFULLY fast. A lot of people throw around speed numbers based on how it looks to them, but without knowing exactly how fast their car is going. Have you been measuring with GPS (app on phone) or radar? On most off-road surfaces, 30 mph is blisteringly fast. They look faster than they are because they're small.

Yah ur right I'm looking at a bandit vxl now.
Bandit VXLs are good. Simple to work on and see how everything works. Efficient driveline, and if you smash up the front end on a speed run, it's just suspension and steering; no drive to worry about. Plus, they look the business. Your biggest problem will be keeping the front end down; may need to add weight. It'll be nice to have something smaller too; E-Revos are beasts. Plus, it can use the E-Revo batts, one at a time!

im looking around for other brands also losi dont look bad.
Losi makes really nice stuff, but you'll pay for it. I had an 8ight 4WD 1/8 buggy a while and it was just awesome. Parts are top quality. You don't get a lot with them, as the better ones are only sold in kits, but what you do get is top quality. Then, you add your choice of (top quality) electronics as you go. Not going to be cheap though. They're strong, but they won't necessarily take a hit without something bending, as they're not designed for bashing.

But yah thanks for the help ur right I'll probably just get another one....now that I'm addicted...
I'm thinking about adding my 6th RC car or truck, after coming back to the hobby twice, so I know how you feel. You can EASILY justify the 2nd one, because if the first one goes down waiting for a part that you broke, you'll have your back-up vehicle to drive.

last time I owned a decent rc was idk 15 yrs ago and they have came a very long way...I should be happy with the speeds I'm getting hah. I skipped over nitro....it was so damn expensive.then brushless motors went down n I went for it..thanks again.
Yes indeed. Brushless and LiPo are mature technologies now. Nitro doesn't compete, in terms of performance. People who run nitro are in it for the nostalgia, noise and smoke, rather than top speed.

I just read something at work that the Japanese are developing solid-state batteries now that will have twice the energy density of LiPo and without being volatile. They're developing them for electric (full size) cars, so it'll likely be 20 years before it trickles down to hobbies, but all along, LiPo will get cheaper and cheaper.

Last edited by Jeremy Z; 07-28-2020 at 06:32 PM.