Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What Parts Do I Need? [Traxxas Rebuild/Refurb]

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 02:58 PM
IDontWannaGrowUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow What Parts Do I Need? [Traxxas Rebuild/Refurb]

Hi, bought an e-Revo 1/16 years ago, and someone wrecked it while using it.

I decided to take it out of "deep storage" and try to get it operational again with this quarantine fever! I already purchased the 2080 Steering Servo which will be here next week...

I'll provide some pics and questions below, please help! THANKS
  • 1. Why won't my front axle stay in the assembly (see compare/contrast pics)
  • 2. What's the best method to fix the dislodged red positive wire on my primary battery lead terminal (see pics)? Please lmk any other part(s) I need to get for functionality

Old 01-14-2021, 06:00 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You should be able to pull the metal tab out of the connector , they just clip together . One part has a bump that fits in a groove . It will be a bit tight .
They only go in 1 way so make sure you solder on the same side .
As for the axle , there should only be minimal play . My best guess would be the inner bearing has failed . It could have damaged the hub carrier if it siezed .
Take the hub apart to check .
If 1 bearing has gone bad , best to do them all .
Old 01-15-2021, 04:34 PM
IDontWannaGrowUp

Originally Posted by seedygreenute
You should be able to pull the metal tab out of the connector , they just clip together . One part has a bump that fits in a groove . It will be a bit tight .
They only go in 1 way so make sure you solder on the same side .
As for the axle , there should only be minimal play . My best guess would be the inner bearing has failed . It could have damaged the hub carrier if it siezed .
Take the hub apart to check .
If 1 bearing has gone bad , best to do them all .
Thanks for your help! I'll get straight to work on the battery connector, pulling out the metal lead clamp inside of the black plastic housing.

As for the axle, your hypothesis was right! Would you be able to shoot me over the part #(s) I need to purchase, and if you're willing a website or two I could check (if that's allowed)? I want to make the order asap to get this machine operational once again after years in hibernation!
Old 01-16-2021, 08:54 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can search specifically for a "TRA7020" but basically any 8x12mm ball bearing will fit. I say basically because there is a width dimension but off hand I don't know. It's somewhere around 4mm.

This guy has all 4 corners w/ bearings included:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-1-1...MAAOSw9uFW9nDp
The following users liked this post:
IDontWannaGrowUp (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 09:52 AM
IDontWannaGrowUp

Originally Posted by BKoz559
You can search specifically for a "TRA7020" but basically any 8x12mm ball bearing will fit. I say basically because there is a width dimension but off hand I don't know. It's somewhere around 4mm.

This guy has all 4 corners w/ bearings included:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-1-1...MAAOSw9uFW9nDp
eBay for the win! Thanks a lot, BKoz -- very helpful.

PS: Would anyone suggest I purchase anything else at this point in time either precautionary (likely to break) or to enhance the overall stability and durability of the eRevo 1/16 (e.g., aluminum parts, upgrades, etc.)?
Old 01-16-2021, 10:23 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're considering spare parts I suggest to stay away from aluminum parts and switch to RPM brand components. In that case you can consider skipping the link I showed you and just get the bearings instead. As you break suspension parts you can then replace them with RPM parts.

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/?...6th-scale-revo

That should list the handful of suspension / steering parts made by RPM. I suggest them because they make replacement parts for all sorts of RC vehicles from a Nylon material that they guarantee for life. They usually re-engineer the factory designs to strengthen weak areas and generally improve the functionality of that component. Being made of nylon means the part will flex before it snaps. Aluminum is great for precision and accuracy but during an impact it bends and it's nearly impossible to straighten a bent suspension arm back to perfectly straight. It it's bent too far then it usually breaks.

Or if you're going for the ultimate "hardcore" look then by all means, replace everything with aluminum. But for longevity, I strongly encourage RPM parts where they're available. I think it's best to consider front suspension components first since they're most likely to break during a crash. You can wait on the rear parts until you do break something and upgrade it at that time.

Last edited by BKoz559; 01-16-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:40 AM
IDontWannaGrowUp

Originally Posted by BKoz559
If you're considering spare parts I suggest to stay away from aluminum parts and switch to RPM brand components. In that case you can consider skipping the link I showed you and just get the bearings instead. As you break suspension parts you can then replace them with RPM parts.

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/?...6th-scale-revo

That should list the handful of suspension / steering parts made by RPM. I suggest them because they make replacement parts for all sorts of RC vehicles from a Nylon material that they guarantee for life. They usually re-engineer the factory designs to strengthen weak areas and generally improve the functionality of that component. Being made of nylon means the part will flex before it snaps. Aluminum is great for precision and accuracy but during an impact it bends and it's nearly impossible to straighten a bent suspension arm back to perfectly straight. It it's bent too far then it usually breaks.

Or if you're going for the ultimate "hardcore" look then by all means, replace everything with aluminum. But for longevity, I strongly encourage RPM parts where they're available. I think it's best to consider front suspension components first since they're most likely to break during a crash. You can wait on the rear parts until you do break something and upgrade it at that time.
Thanks for the really great and insightful help! Everything you said makes a lot of sense, I never thought about it that way. It's best to be strong *and* flexible! I appreciate that.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:42 PM
seedygreenute

That ebay set is everything you need to do all 4 corners ! Nice find !!!
Should fix your problem , and get rid of any wheel wobble on the others too .
Traxxas part numbers =
#7034 - 4 x carriers ( 2 x left , 2 x right - front and back are the same ! )
#7033 - 2 x sets of pivot ball / caps ( you need x2 of these to do all 4 )
# 7019 - 4x8x3 ( x2 of these )
#7020 - 8x12x3.5 ( x2 of these )
Old 01-16-2021, 08:51 PM
IDontWannaGrowUp

Originally Posted by seedygreenute
That ebay set is everything you need to do all 4 corners ! Nice find !!!
Should fix your problem , and get rid of any wheel wobble on the others too .
Traxxas part numbers =
#7034 - 4 x carriers ( 2 x left , 2 x right - front and back are the same ! )
#7033 - 2 x sets of pivot ball / caps ( you need x2 of these to do all 4 )
# 7019 - 4x8x3 ( x2 of these )
#7020 - 8x12x3.5 ( x2 of these )
THANK YOU! I purchased the suggested eBay link above earlier today. Are the parts you suggested above still necessary to get the ole' buggy riding again?
Old 01-17-2021, 12:55 AM
seedygreenute

No , the ebay link is everything .
I just listed the individual part numbers .
IDontWannaGrowUp (01-18-2021)