Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Clicking while turning but not going straight

Old 06-01-2021, 01:29 AM
cbjfan2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking while turning but not going straight

Hey folks. First time post here since the Traxxas forum has been down for several days.
I was bashing my Slash 4x4 out in a construction site today; outing was cut short by a new clicking sound I can't identify.
When wheels point straight, no clicking under power and all four corners are turning freely. When I turn lightly, no clicking. When I approach full lock left or right, then I hear clicking.
I have Traxxas HD CVD front and back that have only had about 2-3 packs through them. Could I have torched a CVD hub or something? Advice on how to tear down a CVD (especially so I don't destroy the boots) would be HUGELY appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 06-01-2021, 10:01 AM
RustyUs

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Take the motor out of the equation, or at least disengage the pinion/spur gear mesh to make sure you are able to easily turn the driveline by hand. Put your RC on a stand so that your suspension is at full droop. Take the wheels and tires off as well, then turn the driveline by hand, and let your fingers, eyes, ears lead you to your issue.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:32 PM
cbjfan2009

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
Take the motor out of the equation, or at least disengage the pinion/spur gear mesh to make sure you are able to easily turn the driveline by hand. Put your RC on a stand so that your suspension is at full droop. Take the wheels and tires off as well, then turn the driveline by hand, and let your fingers, eyes, ears lead you to your issue.
RustyUs: I appreciate the feedback. Been cranking by hand per your suggestion. Feels very smooth by hand until I turn to full right turn lock. Then the clicking starts. Full left doesn't bind at all. Chipped orbital gear in front diff maybe?
steering servo is swinging smoothly. I don't hear any clicking from that as it moves.

I've been running 2s to test and all speed is smooth with wheels straight or turned left. As I slowly approach right full lock, clicking starts then gets louder.

Thanks again! Great fun driving. Great fun fixing!
Old 06-01-2021, 04:49 PM
bill_delong

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

When was the last time you rebuilt the car?

If you have a seized or blown out bearing on your diff then it might be clicking if the race of the bearing is rubbing, etc...

Also check for pins that might be loose around the universals, etc... that cheap plastic doesn't always hold them in place very well... might need to replace the plastic with a fresh universal perhaps if that's the case.

Sometimes a complete rebuild might uncover a broken part that needs to be replaced.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:29 PM
cbjfan2009

Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
When was the last time you rebuilt the car?

If you have a seized or blown out bearing on your diff then it might be clicking if the race of the bearing is rubbing, etc...

Also check for pins that might be loose around the universals, etc... that cheap plastic doesn't always hold them in place very well... might need to replace the plastic with a fresh universal perhaps if that's the case.

Sometimes a complete rebuild might uncover a broken part that needs to be replaced.
Bill: haven't had time to strip it to pieces. The truck is not quite a year old. Maybe a dozen or so packs through it. Just put in the new CVDs about 3 weeks ago when I put in the new Castle 2400kV motor/mamba x combo and a Tekno Big Bone. Ran it on gravel about 2 full packs. Took it out to bash on dirt this Memorial Day and that's when the sound started.
Never had more than 2s on it until I installed the new motor. Been pumping 4s since 16/54 gearing. Great low temps!
Old 06-01-2021, 05:48 PM
bill_delong

Hmm, I think the TEKNO upgrade requires thread lock and if you didn't use a gel based thread lock, then chances are you need re-apply more.. I've had really good luck with Orange Permatex lately:

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-02-2021, 04:01 AM
cbjfan2009

Here is a video of the sound. Maybe seeing and hearing it will let you guys/gals notice something I'm unfamiliar with? It's hosted of Vimeo, but I can't post a url until I've posted 10 times.
Thanks!
H t t p s://vimeo.com/558033046
Old 06-02-2021, 05:14 AM
bill_delong

I would remove the rubber boots and inspect the universals. appears to be binding with the caster blocks... kinda like you haven't set your EPA to where the servo is binding at full throw. You can hear the servo being over stressed which is what I'm hearing in the video clip.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:17 AM
cbjfan2009

Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
I would remove the rubber boots and inspect the universals. appears to be binding with the caster blocks... kinda like you haven't set your EPA to where the servo is binding at full throw. You can hear the servo being over stressed which is what I'm hearing in the video clip.
Thanks! I'll take them off when I get home from work and peel back the boots and check for signs of damage. I'll check the bearings too while I'm in there... Will also try to reduce the EPA to prevent binding.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:53 PM
cbjfan2009

Peeled back the boots on stub axle side....could see signs of the joint cup rubbing on the shaft. I'm just surprised this type of thing never happened with the original axles (the new cvds are double cardan like the standard plastic shafts the truck shipped with)....had expected these to be Rzeppa cv, since I hadn't understood that two cardan u-joints is a cv. I guess the original axles didn't have the big cup sticking out to rub on the driveshaft.
I can't change the EPA without buying a new transmitter. The stock Traxxas TQ doesn't support EPA adjustment. Will be looking for a replacement now.
The following users liked this post:
bill_delong (06-04-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 06:02 PM
cbjfan2009

Update to the story: took off my axle making the noise. Cleaned all bearings and oiled; oiled the cvd; separated the steering arm from the hub and forced the cvd to a reallllllllly extreme angle (still no clicking even at absurd angle). Put it all back together and BOOM - no more clicking. Maybe it's the servo and something was binding it up? Dunno. Will follow up again if noise starts up again.

Thanks again to all who commented!