Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Unique Issue with HobbyWing Max10 SCT 120A - No-one has figured this out yet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Unique Issue with HobbyWing Max10 SCT 120A - No-one has figured this out yet

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 05:46 AM
spaceman2021

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique Issue with HobbyWing Max10 SCT 120A - No-one has figured this out yet

I have a truggy bought only 3 months ago with a HobbyWing WP MAX10 SCT RTR 120A. Lightly used, not in dirt or water without any problems for the first 3 months.

An issue occurred the other day. I took it out and drove it for 1 minute about 200 meters then the following issue occurred:

Every time the throttle is pressed the car accelerates for 1-2 seconds then auto-brakes with 3 green flashes with 3 beeps and then afterwards flashes red continuously while the throttle is still pressed (no beeping). When the throttle is placed in reverse, the motor doesn't engage, only the 3 green flashes with 3 beeps and then red continuous flashing (no beeping). It seems that there is some protection kicking-in - green flashes are typically overheating - but the car has not been used and is cool everytime I have tried to troubleshoot.

I cannot upload a video to this issue as I am new on this forum and not allowed to. But you can search for it on Yo u Tube using the following text in the search field "Unique HobbyWing Max10 SCT ESC Issue - Can you solve it? spaceexplorer2000"

This issue occurs with or without a motor. I have done the following to troubleshoot:
-Have used different 3s lipo batteries - ESC was set to Auto detect and there is 3 green flashes and beeps on switching on the ESC
-Tried multiple Rx and Tx's and it is not a receiver or transmitter issue.
-Have recalibrated the throttle each time the Rx/Tx were replaced.
-Made sure that the throttle was dial was on 100% during recalibration (tried in both normal and reverse modes)
-Have reset all the ESC programming to default.
-Have verified all the ESC settings and tested different options:
-Tried the LVC at Low and Disabled settings
-Disabled Motor Thermal Protection (there is no motor temp gauge)
-Changed the ESC thermal Protection to High
-Changed the LiPo Cell setting from Auto to 3s (as is the battery I am using)
-Have unplugged all unnecessary cables from the Rx.
-Have reseated all the motor and ESC cables to make sure they connect.
-Have tried another motor and same issue occurs.
-The transmitters have fresh batteries.
-Haven't run the car through water.
-No dirt lodged in the ESC fan or heatsink.
-The ESC is not overheating as this happens when the car is cool.
-The fan on the ESC runs fine. Final point.
-The steering works fine.

Based on all the testing and permutations, this is definitely a problem with the ESC and since it is not so old I guess this is some kind of configuration corruption in the firmware. Hobbywing won't entertain this issue as it is not directly from them but relabeled by the RC vendor. I know there must be a solution for this as it is almost working...

Hoping to avoid buying a new ESC as I would rather buy a new car instead of investing any further in this one.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:15 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

What voltage are you charging the 3S pack to?

I would disable the LVC and see if that fixes the issue, if so, then make sure you're not charging to 4.35V/cell which is LiHV mode and might confuse the ESC to think that it's running 4S auto detect... if that's the case and you want to keep charging LiHV then you may need to manually set the LVC to a specific voltage instead of letting it auto detect.

since it's not an OEM product, it could be a dud... I would only buy from the OEM to make sure it's not a counterfeit and you are protected in the future.

HW will offer a deep discount for damaged ESC's outside warranty, but they must be bought from an authorized dealer

Last edited by bill_delong; 07-06-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:40 PM
spaceman2021

Originally Posted by bill_delong
What voltage are you charging the 3S pack to?

I would disable the LVC and see if that fixes the issue, if so, then make sure you're not charging to 4.35V/cell which is LiHV mode and might confuse the ESC to think that it's running 4S auto detect... if that's the case and you want to keep charging LiHV then you may need to manually set the LVC to a specific voltage instead of letting it auto detect.

since it's not an OEM product, it could be a dud... I would only buy from the OEM to make sure it's not a counterfeit and you are protected in the future.

HW will offer a deep discount for damaged ESC's outside warranty, but they must be bought from an authorized dealer
I have tried the LVC at different settings and also disabled it altogether.

Batteries are charged to 4.2V/cell. I have tried multiple batteries and always using the LiPo Balance Charge.

I have set the ESC to autodetect the LiPo. It gives 3 beeps when switched on which is correct as I am using a 3s battery. I have also tried setting the ESC to 3s directly.

Regarding the OEM thoughts, it could be possible. I am assured that this is coming from the OEM that manufactures the HobbyWing, but then again anything is possible. I believe that the config messed up somehow - I am already going to buy a HW ESC from MonkeyHobby. Are they an authorized reseller of these ESCs?
Old 07-07-2021, 06:22 AM
bill_delong

Authorized Dealers can be found here:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/page...0d3345f7&_ss=r

Another possibility is that if the original motor was overheated, it could've damaged the ESC, more info here on steps I take to diagnose a problem:
https://www.rctech.net/forum/showpos...ostcount=12161
Old 07-10-2021, 04:34 AM
spaceman2021

Originally Posted by bill_delong
Authorized Dealers can be found here:

Another possibility is that if the original motor was overheated, it could've damaged the ESC, more info here on steps I take to diagnose a problem:
Thanks - am ordering a new ESC now.

Tried everything possible with exception of updating the firmware - it'll be hard to throw away the current ESC as it looks new and not so old. So I am going to get a programming box as well to reflash the firmware.

It'll bug me even when I get my new ESC.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:33 AM
bill_delong

I've seen a brand new ESC damaged by a bad motor, best to make sure the motor you are testing is a known good motor before hooking it up a new ESC.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:40 PM
[email protected]

Default My dad has the same problem

My pops just had this issue and it was one of the buttons stuck . I think it was the reset one partially stuck . Just something to check . His was having the same issue . Motor rocking and all