Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need Help with Summit LT

Old 12-12-2021, 08:44 PM
Poormancrawlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Summit LT

Getting ready to convert my summit to an LT and I'd like to do a few things in the process. I want to shim the diffs while I've got the arms off but can't find anyone who has said what size shims I will need. I'm also curious if the Slayer Pro axle shafts are the same size as the Summit? The Summit and Trx4 have the same diameter axle so I was thinking of using some +5mm hexes meant for a trx4 to push the wheel far enough from the knuckle to use normal 2.2 wheels instead of the 2.2/3.0 sct wheels, since I'd like to have bead locks and not have to murder tires for this one rig. If anyone has an idea on the shims or the axles I'd appreciate it. Also looking to get a mid-priced sensored brushless setup with a little more top end but not too much for the truck if anyone has got a recommendation for that as well. TIA for any help!
Old 12-22-2021, 03:59 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

A safe bet on shim size is outside diameter of the bearing, and minus 3mm. If you are using a 16mm bearing, then you should start looking for 16x13mm shims.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:47 PM
Poormancrawlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay thank you, I ended up buying Losi LMT 304 Stainless Steel shims and the kit comes with the perfect sizes for both sides of the diffs and they're .2mm thick. I only used one of the 8x13 shims on the ring side of each diff but it does feel better. Also found that the +3mm trx4 hexes I had laying around perfectly spaced the 2.2 wheel out enough to clear the knuckles! I did some digging on the traxxas parts diagrams and found that the Slayer and Summit use 5mm axle shafts so the trx4 hexes will work with slayer axles or cut down summit axles . I did have to grind part of the collar off of the hexes so it wouldn't crash into the bearing in the knuckle.