Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 06:38 PM
ChaRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless tank

I was thinking since I got a little extra cash that I would take a tamiya tank kit and take all that useless stuff off, like the top turret and hard plastic body off and basically build a brushless basher out of it. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these tanks and could tell me if they use two motors or just one (I don't know how a one motor tank would work). Also if the stock suspension could take jumps and stuff. I've heard with many of the tamiya off-road kits that they are hard to break, but is this the same? I was planning on getting one with the metal chassis. Also are they geared extremely low or would I be able to get to decent (high ) speed with them if I used two brushless motors (one for each track). I was just thinking of using one of the tamiya tanks so I wouldn't have to build from completely scratch. Are there are any other "real" rc tanks out there that would be better?

I just don't see why nobody makes a real (not scale) basher treaded RC vehicle.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:51 PM
ChaRX

Default RE: Brushless tank

LoL, I should've done a bit more research before I posted that, lol. I don't think that $500 for a kit is really in my price range... LoL... The rest is still standing, though. Anyone know anybody other than tamiya that makes a real rc tank for less than $500?

Maybe I am better off scratch-building...
Old 03-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

A tank wouldn't be a great idea for a bashing/jumping vehicle. Most RC tanks have a top end of around 3-5 mph and even with a brushless motor you would have a hard time getting beyond 8-10 mph. They use a lot of gear reduction to get a lot of torque into the drivetrain.

The shocks are generally undampened which doesn't make them good for jumping and total travel for their suspension probably isn't more than 1/2" to 3/4".

If you want a vehicle that will climb pretty steep angles and go over a lot of very rough terrain that many trucks wouldn't be able to traverse, then a tank might be a good choice. If you know several other people with tanks you can have mock battles which would be pretty cool and a lot of fun. Here would be a good place for brushless motors and some Li-Poly batteries as you would be faster and run longer than your friends.

Overall, not a great choice for a bashing vehicle/jumping vehicle.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:38 PM
R/C Dragon

I want to put a BB cannon on my tamiya tank and destroy my neighbors TL-01
Old 03-23-2004, 10:53 PM
ChaRX

Yeah, I'm not really into the whole battling thing, I just think that a tank or treaded vehicle would awesome for a basher. I'm thinking the biggest problem with making a high-speed tank would be keeping the gear on the treads.Not that perfect scale tamiya stuff, which is useless. I mean, it wouldn't be that hard to come up with a suspension system for a tank, enough for jumping. I actually have a good idea for using 1/10 scale stadium truck shocks. I guess it's going to be a totally custom job. Which I'm really not sure about either this idea or a brushless Tamiya FF02 Celica. Oh well, lol. Just seeing if anyone else had a better idea for a basher tank.

PS- I found out how the one-motor tamiya tanks work Very lame.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:02 PM
studysession

Put a BB Gun on an RC air plane and shoot the other planes down.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:10 AM
R/C Dragon

put a 4 barrel BB cannon on my tank and make it an AA gun[>:]